How Creditable Is Scarleteen?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
redred123
Pronouns: he

How Creditable Is Scarleteen?

Unread post by redred123 »

Hi there,

Firstly, I want to thank you for the good work you're doing.

I'm not going to go into details on my situation as I believe that's not really allowed here. But I have extreme anxiety when it comes to pregnancy scares and even though my friends say I'm being stupid I can't help worry and overthink things. Anyway, my girlfriend was over last week and was playing with me, I believe got precum on her fingers and a little later played with herself.

This has put me into a spiral of worry, stress and sleepless nights thinking about the whatifs. That's until I found your site and read a few very interesting articles and forum posts basically saying that getting pregnant this way doesn't happen and is impossible.

My question is how credible is your site and the advise you give here? Almost every other site I've found on the topic says that it's possible to get pregnant this way. Even sexetc which I know is another very credible source: https://sexetc.org/info-center/post/can ... or-an-std/ and articles written by doctors: https://www.brennerchildrens.org/KidsHe ... gering.htm

Obviously, I want your article to be correct as I don't want to worry about this anymore. My gf was on the last days of her period at the time and I had cum 24 hours previously and urinated a number of times since that so I know in my head that even if it's possible like the other articles say that it's still unlikely for these reasons. I just want to know how credible scarleteen is and it's a fact, like your article says ' it's impossible to transfer from cloth or finger into the vagina' http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/clairep/ ... g_freakout . Have you got any medical articles you can link me too?

Looking forward to hearing back from you soon and thanks again for the help,

Red
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: How Creditable Is Scarleteen?

Unread post by Heather »

We will not answer ANY questions about pregnancy fear or anxiety in our direct services from users who are not pregnant or who are not or have not otherwise been directly involved with an actual pregnancy.

Please do not post this kind of question. If you are seeing this text, and your thread is locked, it is because you have posted this kind of question.

We CAN and WILL talk about things like:
• choosing and using a method or methods of contraception for any future sexual activity
• creating your own sexual limits and boundaries based on your needs and/or presenting them to any partners
• making sexual choices that suit your own needs, abilities and limitations, including your own readiness for certain possible risks
• help locating or using emergency contraception if and when you have had a pregnancy risk
• discussing options with a real, existing pregnancy, and help finding and accessing those options, such as abortion services and pre-natal care, or discussing feelings or concerns about a past pregnancy
• help with anxiety like locating mental health services, sound self-help or asking for support from friends or family

Regarding our credibility on this issue or on the whole, of course we are going to tell you we are credible; any organization you ask would about themselves. So, it's not for us to tell you that, as that is obviously highly unreliable. Rather, that's for you to research. You can look at our about pages, awards we have won, other sites and organizations which link to us or source our work. You can yourself look at medical reference books about reproduction and see if our information matches up. (However, be aware, you are not likely to find medical reference which includes information about pregnancy from things that do not or are not even remotely likely to result in pregnancy: medical references about reproduction talk about the way it DOES occur, not the millions of ways it does not.)

If you would like a piece about this from a doctor, specifically you can look at Dr. Petra Boynton's answer to this kind of question at her column here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/sex/se ... -I-do.html

Given your age, you also likely have the ability to see and speak with a doctor yourself, though I would strongly suggest who you speak with is someone who can help treat your anxiety, as that is what is at the root of this, not earnest confusion or ignorance about how reproduction occurs.

For help dealing with a scare (including what poses a risk and your next steps based on your unique situation), you may use our tool on site built for this purpose: The Pregnancy Panic Companion.
For help with anxiety, click here.
For related help and information at Scarleteen, click here.
If you would like more information about this policy, click here.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Locked Previous topicNext topic