Condom question

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
thk
not a newbie
Pronouns: He

Condom question

Unread post by thk »

Hello there.

I have a question about condoms.

If a condom slips and unrolls while intercourse, leaving the base (thin ring) of the condom further than the base of the penis, could accidentally get in the whole condom? or does the "ring" prevent that?

Thanks.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Condom question

Unread post by Heather »

Often, even when someone has just put it on, condoms won't sit right at the base of the penis. That's okay. Condoms are still effective, just as effective, when they move up a bit. But that is one reason why condoms aren't as effective at preventing infections like herpes that can be spread skin-to-skin as they are fluid-borne infections, because they often don't cover the whole surface area of the genitals.

Depending on the shape of someone's penis, a condom sliding up could make it easier for it to slide off, for sure. So, as a general rule, you do always want to be paying some attention to that a condom is still intact (just take a glance every now and then, you'll either see it or not, and if not, take a sec to check things out). If you find condoms do a lot of sliding around on you, you can also experiment with using both a slightly snugger (smaller) condom and a slightly larger one. Sometimes a lot of sliding around can be stopped by just adjusting for fit.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
thk
not a newbie

Unread post by thk »

Ok, then condom size is important about sliping.

But, the thing that I described, can happen?

(Adding: I mean like, If the guy is kind of slightly losing erection, so condom start sliping forward and in the same way unrolling, leaving a lot of space in the condom, like "putting an already fully unrolled condom")
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Yep, and that's another reason that can happen.

Just know that if and when someone loses an erection to the point the condom is getting considerably looser, they (or you, whoever) probably should withdraw the penis at that point. Condoms can't usually be as effective without an erection because they often won't be able to have the tether they need to stay put.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
thk
not a newbie

Unread post by thk »

I see, so assuming that happened, the whole condom would got stuck inside the vagina, right? or the condom will come out of the vagina still on the penis?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Proper and effective condom use involves withdrawing from the vagina or anus if and when an erection goes buh-bye. That is because the condom can -- it sometimes won't, but it can and sometimes will -- slip off much more easily that way.
thk
not a newbie

Unread post by thk »

Ok, so, that is a "If the whole condom goes in, still on the penis, It may get stuck inside or may not."?

(Taking the scenario that I described as reference)

Am I right? :D
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

A condom always can potentially slide off the penis and into the body part of another person it's inside of, yes. Condoms can slip off or break: both are always possibilities, though less likely when condoms are used properly.

For more on condoms and other barriers like this, including how to use them, see: All the Barriers! All the Time!
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

(I did just notice you appear to have more than one account/handle here, which our guidelines make clear isn't okay. Which of two I am finding -- this one and hedjoss -- would you like me to shut down so you are only using one?)
thk
not a newbie

Unread post by thk »

I just made a post, in the BODY section, If you like, answer that post and then close this one, *IT ISN'T A PREGNANCY SCARE QUESTION*.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

We can't engage with you around any other questions until you let us know which of your two accounts we can shut down.
thk
not a newbie

Unread post by thk »

Oh, ok, sorry, the another one, please.

Can I make another question while I'm here?, it's about condoms too.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Okay, I've closed the other account. What are you wondering about condoms?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic