New birth control or something else?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
conneaut13
Pronouns: She/her

New birth control or something else?

Unread post by conneaut13 »

I just started taking a new birth control (pills) on Thursday with a higher dosage of hormones than I was originally taking. I ended my period on the Saturday before that Thursday and had sex without a condom on Sunday and Monday. I was taking the placebo pills of the old birth control at the time. There was no complication of pulling out. I’ve noticed the past few days that I have had excessive amounts of the normal white vaginal discharge and light cramping. Could this be due to the new birth control? Or possibly pregnancy?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: New birth control or something else?

Unread post by Heather »

One of the three ways that combined oral contraceptives (like birth control pills) works to prevent pregnancy is by thickening cervical mucus. So, by all means, it's common to see thicker discharge, because that is what it does, though that may not always be so apparent from one formulation to the other.

Cramping is less likely to be about your pill, so if that keeps up, I'd suggest you mention it to your sexual healthcare provider, especially if you and any partners of yours aren't current with your STI screenings and you're not using barriers.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic