IUD

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
pandagirl97
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her

IUD

Unread post by pandagirl97 »

Hello,
I have the copper iud now for about three months. And I was supposed to get my period but it’s now 6 days late. I’ve only spotted a couple of times but that’s it. I have really bad pains in my abdomen. I took a pregnancy test and it was negative but I’m just wondering is it normal to miss a period when you’re on the copper iud? It hasn’t happened to me before so that’s why I’m confused. I’m already on cycle day 35, and that’s unusual for me. I don’t know what to do, should I wait and take another test? Or do you think that this is perfectly normal? I thought of calling my doctor on Monday if my period still doesn’t come by then.
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetero

Re: IUD

Unread post by Alice O »

Hey pandagirl97,

Late or missed periods, for reasons other than pregnancy, are quite common! Bodies are quirky, and so most menstruating people will occasionally have a period that's earlier or later than usual, or even skipped altogether.

Missed periods are associated with hormonal IUDs (such as Mirena or Skyla) rather than copper IUDs (which don't have any localized hormones). So your missed period likely is not related to your IUD. This article, M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?, explains some common reasons for missed periods. The article ends with a few next steps with a late period--Take a pregnancy test (You did that! Also IUDs are over 99% effective in a year of typical use, so pregnancy is not likely). See your healthcare provider (if you have missed two periods). And try not to stress! "You're in good company: thousands of periods go missing in action every month, and most of them turn up in their own sweet time."

I also want to follow up on the "really bad pains" you are experiencing in your abdomen. The copper IUD is known to worsen period cramping in some people, so it is likely that is what's going on. How do these abdomen pains compare to your period cramping before getting the IUD and in the 3 months since getting it? And have you found anything that offers relief from the pain?
pandagirl97
not a newbie

Thank you! I’ll try not to stress about it that much and hopefully my period will come soon. And the pains before my iud weren’t so bad but since I got my Iud they’ve been horrible, it’s really hard for me to do anything and it’s come to a point where I just cry because of the pain. In the 3 months nothing has changed, the pain this month has been the worst. And It’s really hard to relieve the pain, I tried taking pain killers such as paracetamol or ibuprofen but they’re too weak so I have to take stronger tablets which have codeine in them. And I know that taking those tablets is not good for a long period of time. So I think that if the pain will be too much that maybe I shouldn’t have the iud?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I would suggest you call the healthcare provider who put it in for you and see what they say.

One common side effect of the copper IUD, specifically -- and not so with other kinds of IUDs -- are more painful periods. But if you are having menstrual pain because of it (assuming it is) that's so bad you're having to start using narcotics, then for sure, that's not so great! :?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
pandagirl97
not a newbie

Yes I know, I will probably just call my doctor and see what will happen from there.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

I'm sorry. :( I know it's a pain, literally, and that having to try a few different things for contraception before you find a good fit is a sucky process.

If you really want an IUD, but your healthcare provider feels the copper type is what's causing you pain, you can always ask to switch to the other type of IUD (like the Mirena) that contains a little localized hormone expressly to avoid these kinds of side effects. I don't know whose idea it was you have a copper type, but you can always ask to switch to the other.

If an IUD wasn't your idea and you want to talk about your other options, I'd be happy to do that with you. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
pandagirl97
not a newbie

Yes that’s be great. Apart from the iud I had contraceptive plasters but they made me feel so down and upset most of the time. I knew the iud didn’t have hormones so that’s why I thought it would be good but the pain is too much. Are there any other contraceptives that work well and don’t have that much affect on a person? Because I know hormones can sometimes make someone feel worse like it did for me. It’s just tiring to look for the best option but I have to. Don’t want any babies yet :D
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

The hormone in the IUD is localized, so it isn't the same as when you use the plasters or the pill: they're almost entirely sticking to your pelvic area, rather than influencing your mind. Also the hormone in methods like the patch or pill associated with increasing depression is estrogen: there is no estrogen in IUDs like the Mirena. Rather, that's a synthetic progestin.

So, if the IUD still feels like the way to go, I'd ask about the Mirena and other types like it and see what your healthcare provider says. Other highly effective long(er)-term methods that don't contain estrogen are the implant or the jab, so you could certainly ask about those as well if you'd like!
pandagirl97
not a newbie

Okay, I will definitely do that. Thank you so much for your help :)
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

My pleasure. Best of luck!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic