A WHOLE JUMBLE OF THINGS

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
clvmsy
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I am kind to others.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

A WHOLE JUMBLE OF THINGS

Unread post by clvmsy »

Hi! So I was going to be sexually active with my boyfriend in February so I got birth control pills from a clinic near my school. However, that boyfriend and I broke up and I ended up not touching those birth control pills. NOW, I am with this guy who is really great and special and we started having sex. In a moment of panic, I decided to take those pills that had been sitting in my trunk of my car for 7 months and after a week I'm starting to be concerned that maybe that didn't and won't do anything. I've looked up whether heat affects birth control and I'm getting a whole different amount of answers. I know they haven't expired cause the expiration is next year but a girl can worry, you know? I think the brand is called Tri-Sprintec if that helps at all. I don't know what to do.
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetero

Re: A WHOLE JUMBLE OF THINGS

Unread post by Alice O »

Hi clvmsy,

There's a lot that I want to respond to in your post so bear with me! This might be a little on the longer side.

First: with any questions about medications, it is best to contact your pharmacist. They know best!

I will say that given that your birth control pills were in a very hot place (cars can get extremely hot in the sun) for such a long time (7 months) it seems quite possible to me that their effectiveness would be reduced.

Heat damage would show on the packaging--the pills tend to swell a little, which makes the blister packaging each pill is in look unusual--but I do realize you may not have another package of birth control to compare yours to. So calling your pharmacist is your best bet!

Also it is important to remember that birth control pills are not immediately effective. Our Birth Control Bingo piece explains, "Here at Scarleteen, as many other credible sources suggest, we advise users to give their pills one full cycle before going without a backup to play it safe." Check out the whole piece, it has a lot of helpful info about the pill: Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)

Have you been using another form of birth control, such as condoms, with this partner?

Also, are you using any form of STI protection with this partner? A reminder that birth control pills do not provide any STI protection. A bit more on safer sex here:Safe, Sound & Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To

Lastly, given some of your phrasing ("in a moment of panic") it sounds like some of the aspects of this sex may have felt rushed, is that true? If so, would you like to talk more about how you can slow things down a bit?
clvmsy
not a newbie

Unread post by clvmsy »

Thank you!

Yes we have been using other forms as well (I.e. Condom) because I freak out and worry very easily and I wasn't sure how effective the birth control would be.

And no, the sex hasn't been rushed. Like I said, I freak out pretty easily over stuff so when I started becoming sexually active with him, all these things started buzzing in my head about whether I was safe enough and how effective would the pills be and in a spur of the moment decision, I just took it. I was in a pretty unhealthy relationship with someone before so the idea of being back in a sexual situation with someone was not an easy decision, but once I came to the conclusion that I trusted him, it now came down to the factor of safety.
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetero

Unread post by Alice O »

Hey clvmsy,

So glad to hear you are using condoms. Phew!

Also glad to hear you are not feeling rushed and that you are feeling trusting in this new sexual relationship :)

We recommend for anyone, but in particular someone who worries easily about pregnancy, to use two birth control methods. You can check out The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method for more on that.

If you decide doubling up is that right choice for you, do you have the information you need to go about getting another form of birth control, such as a new prescription for the pill?
clvmsy
not a newbie

Unread post by clvmsy »

I do! I actually also called the clinic and made an appointment to talk to them about everything :)
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by al »

That's awesome to hear, clvmsy! I hope the upcoming appointment goes well.

I just wanted to jump in here real quick and say that it's usually not a good idea to take any medications beyond how they were specifically prescribed, just because the provider who prescribes them is looking out for specific problems/reactions/etc. (Except, of course, when they're prescribed as "as needed" medications). Though birth control pills have relatively low risks in terms of side effects and everything, it's just a good habit to keep in mind.

I personally had this happen where I had some leftover birth control pills that I was taking, and when I told a new doctor I was taking them, he informed me that they had actually been taken off the market and recalled! (Something about possible contaminants in manufacturing process?) Ever since then I become pretty wary of taking things after the fact. :)
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
clvmsy
not a newbie

Unread post by clvmsy »

Okay, new update:

I went to the clinic and they just prescribed me a new batch of birth control and told me to stop taking the ones I had. I did so and three days later, I started my period (or what seems like a period). I wanted to know if 1. This is normal, 2. Is this a period or me just spotting as my body adjusts, and 3. Does this mean I should start taking my NEW birth control? (The doctor told me to take it the sunday after I start my period but if this isn't a real period, maybe I shouldn't.)
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by al »

Hi clvmsy,

So anytime you stop taking a form of hormonal birth control, you're likely to experience some bleeding (which may vary from light spotting to a full 7 day period), so that's probably what's happening here. It's a good idea to follow what you're doctor told you, so you should start the new pack tomorrow, even if you're still spotting slightly.
The truth is, it takes a little bit of time for your body to adjust to any big change in hormones (starting or stopping the pill, or taking emergency contraception), so you may experience some irregular spotting for a bit, but it should iron out in about 2-3 cycles. You can read more in-depth about stopping/starting the pill, and what to expect here: Three Questions About Taking the Birth Control Pill and Plenty of Answers
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic