Coil and sex

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Tigger1
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can sing
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Not sure

Coil and sex

Unread post by Tigger1 »

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible for you to be able to feel your coil if you are with a partner. When I was with my partner recently, I thought I could feel something scratchy. I wondered whether this could be the coil strings? If so is it possible to move it during sex so it causes issues?
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Coil and sex

Unread post by al »

Hi there Tigger,

By the coil, you mean the Essure coils, right? It had to be inserted surgically?
If so, as long as it's been placed correctly, they shouldn't be affected by intercourse, as they're way up in your fallopian tubes. You shouldn't be able to feel anything hanging down or poking around in your uterus or vagina.
In the patient information they give out, they do list a very low risk of the coils becoming dislodged and migrating around the pelvic area, but that's the type of thing that would most likely be accompanied by more symptoms/pain. If it continues to happen or if it's bothering you, it might be a good idea to check in with your healthcare provider.
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Tigger1
not a newbie

Unread post by Tigger1 »

Hey,

I have a mirena coil - an IUD I think it's called. It was Inserted surgically when they did some other tests etc.

I know they cut the strings fairly short upon insertion. I haven't felt this scratching sensation up until the time I mentioned above.
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by al »

Hi Tigger,

Gotcha! Sorry, the language is a little different from country to country, but yes, we call that an IUD (intrauterine device) in the U.S. :)

It is possible for you or your partner to feel the strings poking out through the cervix during penetrative sex. It could be that with more time they will soften up, if it was inserted recently. It's also possible that with a little more arousal and lubrication, or with different sexual positions, they could be less noticeable. If it's something that continues happening, you may want to check in with whoever placed it to make sure that it's still in the correct position - they may also be able to trim the strings shorter.
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Tigger1
not a newbie

Unread post by Tigger1 »

Awesome thank you for your help :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic