Can sex make your period come early?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
FadedPassion
not a newbie
Pronouns: Her

Can sex make your period come early?

Unread post by FadedPassion »

Hello! I heard that having sex can sometimes make your period come early and I just wanted to verify if this was true.
I'm currently on combination birth control for 9 months. Me and my boyfriend went through a bit of a dry spell for about 3 months. This month we've had sex 3 times, the most current being this past Sunday. I started to get spotting on Tuesday and now it's Tuesday night and I'm getting more blood as if my period (withdrawal bleed) is starting. I still have 3 active pills left in my pack and I normally don't get my period until next Monday. Could sex cause my withdrawal bleed to come early?
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Can sex make your period come early?

Unread post by Karyn »

Sex can't change your cycle, no. Periods or withdrawal bleeds happen because of a bunch of hormonal changes and shifts in the body, and sex doesn't impact those. (Keep in mind too that even on the pill, people can have some irregularity. Bodies don't always do what we expect.) Occasionally, however, if a period is about to start anyways, sex can get it going: the contractions in the muscles around the uterus and in the pelvis that happen with orgasm, for example, can sort of jump start the bleeding that was about to happen.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
FadedPassion
not a newbie

Oh okay that makes sense! Every month I normally get very mininal pink spotting around the 19th active pill in my pack, just this time it's a bit more than usual but not a full bleed. I just wanted to make sure that it's nothing to worry about.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

As long as you're current with all your STI testing and sexual health checks, nope, it's not cause for concern. Spotting is a pretty common side effect of the pill.
FadedPassion
not a newbie

Okay just wanted to make sure. I remember my doctor saying before that spotting is not so but of I start a full bleed that it could be cause for concern, I'm not really sure why though. I take my pill perfectly. I've had sti checks before on numerous occasions and I'm still with the same partner for over 5 years.

On Monday I had fishy smelling discharge but I ate fish the night before. Yesterday and today the smell is completely gone so I assume it was just from that! (I rarely eat fish so I never noticed it before but I'll still keep an eye on it).
I at times get a bit itchy inside the vagina. I used to get yeast infections all the time but with this pill i haven't gotten it that often. I also have hpv (low risk warts, and high risk). Sometimes the warts can make me a bit itchy and even bleed. It doesn't happen often but it does sometimes. Some of them are also located inside so I can't see them. I guess it's possible that the sex irritated it which is making it bleed. It's hard to tell. I hate having vaginal issues! Haha
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Karyn »

As far as I know, starting a period before the active pills are finished isn't a cause for concern unless it's bothering you, but it may be worth checking in with your doctor again and seeing if they can explain that a bit better.

Per the bleeding this time, again, I wouldn't say it's cause for concern, but given that there are a few different things going on with your vaginal health, it's something to keep an eye on and check in with a healthcare provider about if it keeps happening and you're worried.
FadedPassion
not a newbie

Okay. Yeah after all the information you've given me it doesn't seem like a concern. I know my doctor would just recommend a higher dose to stop the bleeding but to be honest I want to stay on these pills because they make me feel normal.
I've seen my doctor multiple times about my vaginal issues and I've even seen a gynecologist and have had many exams and blood work/swabs taken. Everything always comes back fine, they just said I'm one of those people who just have a sensitive area down there lol. My Aunt has the same issues. There's not much they can do. It's frustrating to deal with and I try and stay healthy and take probiotics etc.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic