Anxiety is making me superstitious

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Angeldelight123
not a newbie

Anxiety is making me superstitious

Unread post by Angeldelight123 »

Hi there

Recently I've been having a bad time with my anxiety and letting it win, ever since I keep seeing only one magpie everywhere I go, constantly everyday, always in my point of view and it's really annoying me so much.

It always seems to be me that sees them, I don't look for them at all they always happen to be in my path.

It sounds silly but because of my anxiety I truly believe something bad is going to happen. I feel like I'm a lot more sensitive to these every day superstitions and I want it to stop because the worrying is killing me.

I particularly worry about pregnancy and falling pregnant because I'm too young for that, and I feel like the one magpie is telling me that something like that is going to happen, I'm due my period in a few days and now I feel like it's not going to come because of the symbol of bad luck from the magpies (for the record, I'm on the pill and use condoms).
Any advice?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Anxiety is making me superstitious

Unread post by Heather »

What do you do to manage your anxiety?

Do you work with a counselor or therapist? Use helper apps? Use anti-anxiety meds? Have some coping tools you have developed for yourself over the years?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Angeldelight123
not a newbie

Unread post by Angeldelight123 »

I visit a therapist every few weeks and I generally ask my friends or family for reassurance, which does help.
I'm getting to the point now where I'm frustrated at myself at how ridiculous my thoughts and paranoia can be.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Increases in anxiety are often times when a person might want to see a therapist more frequently. Is that an option for you, and something you think might help?

What coping tools or methods have you and your therapist come up with in the past that have worked for you? What happens when you apply those to this anxiety?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic