What is the real odds that birth control will fail?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Angeldelight123
not a newbie

What is the real odds that birth control will fail?

Unread post by Angeldelight123 »

Hi there,

Straight to the point, i am a very perfect user of the pill, I don't take any other meds, I have never missed a pill and have never taken one late and I have never vomited or had diarrhoea after taking a pill.

So, is the failure rate of the pill even worth worrying over?

I do kind of struggle to convince myself the pill is protecting me, since it is tiny and I can't physically see it working in my body.

I am guessing I'm not the only one feeling this way, I mean it's natural to have some concern isn't it? Especially when you're trusting a tiny little pill to stop you from getting pregnant.

Can someone please advise me?
Is the pill REALLY good at it's job that it's not worth the fuss? How can I trust it more?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: What is the real odds that birth control will fail?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Angeldelight,

You can find out what the perfect use and typical use rates of the pill are (and what actually constitutes perfect or typical use) here: Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)

As far as what you need to to help you trust the pill more, that's really something only you can answer, because you have the best sense of what's causing you to worry. Once you've identified that, you can figure out what next steps to take.
Angeldelight123
not a newbie

Unread post by Angeldelight123 »

Okay so, I read that the failure rate is 0.3% in perfect use (being that it's 99.7% effective)

I take my pill perfectly, so is there any reason to be concerned over that 0.3% failure rate at all? Or is it worth not fussing over?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

As Sam mentioned earlier, this is something that only you can answer. The level of safety a person needs to feel comfortable varies widely, even to the same person from time to time. For some people that efficiency rate will be okay, for others it is just not enough so they either add another method to the equation or change their activities.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic