The Pill & Pregnancy

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
anganonymous
Pronouns: She

The Pill & Pregnancy

Unread post by anganonymous »

so my boyfriend and I had sex on Monday. Regretfully, one part of it was unprotected. Right before I left his house, it sort of just happened again. However, it wasn't for a lengthy amount of time and he promised that he was 1000% certain he did not ejaculate in me as prior to that time he had already ejaculated twice and felt "empty". Although I do believe him, my main concern is precum as guys can't feel it when they do precum; well my boyfriend doesn't to say the very least. Anyway, Thursday which was 72 hours after having sex ( still a safe and acceptable time to take the emergency contraceptive pill), we went to get it but all the shops were closed so I found a packet of birth control at home so I just took 4 pills of that in an attempt to match the level of hormones put into the regular emergency contraceptive pill. My period was supposed to be due on Friday but it never came in the morning or anything so after school, my friend and I walked to the chemist and got the pill (called postella-1). It said not to take it after 72 hours but I did anyway whilst I was waiting for my bus at the bus stop. As I was waiting, roughly 10-20 minutes later after i took the pill I felt blood in my undies but surely it must've been in my vagina before I took the pill though and only just started to feel it then. I'm assuming the blood was my period since it was actually due that day.. however as the night went on it got increasingly lighter which is out of the normal for me as my first day is usually very heavy. Anyway, when I woke up this morning, I went to the bathroom and my "period" has basically disappeared.. there's no sign of blood or anything. What does this mean?
Thank you in advance ❤
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: The Pill & Pregnancy

Unread post by Mo »

Hi there anganonymous, and welcome to the Scarleteen message boards. :)

When taking emergency contraception (and especially since you also took some birth control pills shortly before that!), a very common side effect is some breakthrough bleeding and/or disruption to your regular menstrual cycle. Given that fact, while we can't know exactly what's up with your period, it's likely that you're just experiencing that common side effect. We have a helpful walkthrough of what to do if you're worried about pregnancy here: The Pregnancy Panic Companion which can help get you through your next steps.

I did want to touch on what you said about unprotected sex "just happening," though. Do you feel like you and your partner are on the same page when it comes to protected sex? Does sex feel like something that's out of your control sometimes? I think this article might be a helpful read: When Sex "Just Happened" (And How to Make It Happen Instead) and if there's any information you need about talking to your partner about this, or investigating other forms of birth control that might work better for you, that's certainly something we can go into in more detail.
anganonymous
Pronouns: She

Re: The Pill & Pregnancy

Unread post by anganonymous »

Thank you so much!
Also I do believe we're on the same page in terms of sex and protected sex. There was consent given from both parties although we both regretted it afterwards due to the risks that were associated with it. We've both definitely learnt our lesson as far as unprotected sex goes and won't happen again. I'm just hoping that I'm not pregnant
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic