Birth Control

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
EternalChaos
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: I have a boyfriend.

Birth Control

Unread post by EternalChaos »

I have a problem. I want to talk to my parents (my mother especially) about getting me birth control. The problem is that they think that my boyfriend and I are already "doing things". They believe abstinance is the best form of birth control and while no I don't plan on anything anytime soon.. I would like to start on birth control anyways. I need advice. Please and thank you.

~Eternal Chaos
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Birth Control

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi eternalchaos,

What do you think would happen if you explained it to them the way you're explaining it to us? In other words, it sounds like you'd like to be on it as longer term preventative measure, so would they be open to that?
EternalChaos
not a newbie
Sexual identity: I have a boyfriend.

Unread post by EternalChaos »

They may be but they are overly suspicious over things pertaining to my boyfriend and I. To them, my boyfriend is the enemy. I can try to explain it to them that way though. It could work. Thank you.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

That's a tough spot to be in: I'm sorry they aren't supportive of your relationship!

Since it sounds like going through them could be difficult, can I ask if it would be possible for you to find a sexual health clinic (like Planned Parenthood or something similar) and get a prescription on your own? (Just trying to get an idea of what your options might be.)
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic