Emergency contraception

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Star19
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Food
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Female

Emergency contraception

Unread post by Star19 »

Ever since I took the Take Action emergency contraception I have been having cramps and sharp ovary pain and it's been that way for five days since I took the pill and that has me worried the cramps don't last long though
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Emergency contraception

Unread post by Heather »

Is the pain you are feeling sharper or more painful than you get during menstrual periods? Like, when it happens, can you keep doing whatever you're doing, or are you literally doubled over?

Also, just to check in per timing if this seems like call for a doctor's visit, are you current with your general sexual healthcare? Like, have you had STI testing and a bimanual exam within the last year?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Star19
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Food
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Female

Unread post by Star19 »

It's just sharp like not extremely painful I have gotten this before but never cramps a week from my period. My period is supposed to be two weeks from now. Not sure if the contraceptive pill just changed it all. I had asked my doctor and she did not even know they did a pelvic exam and everything but haven't gotten a call so I assume they did not find anything abnormal. I was also known to have ovarian cyst but not sure if I still have them.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Okay.

So, what I'd presume, then, is one of two things, especially since you did already get healthcare for this:

1) It is about an ovarian cyst, or you still dealing with those. Sharp, short ovarian pain is pretty much the way those tend to feel, and menstrual cramps are usually more dull.

2) You're just reacting to the hormones in the EC. They're a synthetic version of the same hormone that's higher when people are getting toward or having a period, which is one reason why it's not uncommon to have things like cramps or spotting or bleeding.

Since you already did get that healthcare, I'd just wait and see if they have any follow-ups, and if not, just pay attention to this. If you're still having these pains when it's been a month or two after using the EC, I think it'd be smart to schedule an appointment to address the pains and find out if you're dealing with cysts again, treating that if you are. Okay?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic