Can't say I love you

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
andrej
not a newbie

Can't say I love you

Unread post by andrej »

Hello there!

I am 22-year-old male and I've been in a relationship with this girl for over 3 years now. I do love her, but I have a really hard time saying these words out loud. For some reason,whenever I try to say that, I feel extreme tightness in my throat and it's just mentally and physically painful to say it out loud. She has learned that I will try to find other ways to express these feelings and she says it is okay with her because she knows I do love her. Still, I think it would be good for me to try to figure it out and would like to ask You to help me out if You can.
Thank you!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Can't say I love you

Unread post by Heather »

What's your history with those words? In other words, have they always been tough for you with others you have loved, like friends or family? Do you have any baggage from your life history attached to those words, or bad experiences?

As well, do you have any sense of what makes you uncomfortable about saying how you feel out loud? For instance, are you afraid of something with them, like, for example, that they commit you to something, or open you up to vulnerability or rejection?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic