BMI + Birth Control

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
sgc51968

BMI + Birth Control

Unread post by sgc51968 »

I recently came across this article when looking for information on sulfa drugs + the pill. http://m.scarleteen.com/article/bodies/ ... th_control

"Higher body weights or higher BMIs (a weight over 165 pounds, or a BMI over 27), or certain health conditions" was listed as something that could potentially cause birth control to be less effective. I did some research and found contradictory studies.

I am 5' 2" and 153 pounds which puts my BMI at 28. I had never heard of the possibility of a higher BMI causing problems with birth control until now. I am a very cautious person and was wondering if you could provide me some information on birth control methods other than barrier methods (I already use condoms) that work regardless of weight. I'm currently losing weight but the thought that my birth control may not be working as efficiently as I previously thought is very concerning to me. I've previously asked my gynecologist about a IUD and they said they would rather not place one in someone my age (23) who had never had a child.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: BMI + Birth Control

Unread post by Heather »

This is something a healthcare provider will take into account when prescribing any medication, including contraception, where it may be an issue.

However, if an IUD is really what you want, you may suggest your GYN review the most current ACOG guidelines about IUDs and nulliparous (never been pregnant) patients. It's been a good decade now since the guidelines have made clear there is no reason to deny a patient an IUD on that basis. In other words, unless they are choosing to go against those guidelines, their education is clearly not current.

Alternately, if possible, you could choose a different GYN who keeps current with practice guidelines without you needing to tell them to. Personally, that's what I would suggest, since any healthcare provider who doesn't keep current with their education and practice guidelines for their field may not be a very good provider in the first place.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
sgc51968

Unread post by sgc51968 »

So does that mean if my provider prescribed oral contraceptives I either don't need to worry about efficiency or I should find another provider since I do have a higher BMI?

It's good to know there's research supporting me asking for an IUD. I have an appointment next Friday and I will talk to my provider then and if needed, bring up the ACOG guidelines. When I asked last time I wasn't educated enough to have a response.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I would presume it's fine, per your current BC.

Here is a PDF of current (2011, in this case) practice guidelines with IUDs, including for nulliparous patients, for easy reference: http://www.acog.org/~/media/Practice%20 ... .pdf?dmc=1
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic