Stomach bug and the pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
jhelens0529

Stomach bug and the pill

Unread post by jhelens0529 »

Hello,

I've been taking the pill consistently for the past year. I've had severe diarrhea for the past three days, but I've continued to take my pill. I read in multiple threads that if the diarrhea didn't happen within a couple hours of taking the pill, the protection against pregnancy is not compromised. Just to be on the safe side, I decided to back up until the end of my current pack (including the placebo pills).

My question is: Once I have completed my current pill pack, am I immediately protected again from pregnancy from just the pills or will I have to wait a certain number of days before I am fully protected again?

Thanks!
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Stomach bug and the pill

Unread post by Johanna »

To be on the safe side, it is a good idea to back up with condoms until you start your new pack.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
jhelens0529

Unread post by jhelens0529 »

Hi Johanna,

So once I start my new pack, I'm back to my usual state of protection? I don't have to wait a couple of days into my new pack?

Thanks again!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

No, you'll want to back up with a second method for the first week of your new pack, the same way you did when first starting the pill. Backing up with condoms, btw, is always smart regardless, to always do, so you don't have to worry about mistakes with the pill, and to reduce risks of STIs and other infections.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic