Periods and the contraceptive implant

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Livteen
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her

Periods and the contraceptive implant

Unread post by Livteen »

Hi guys,

I went ahead and got a contraceptive implant inserted in the fourth day of my period, 25 days ago. I haven’t had penetrative sex with it yet, but I’m planning on using a condom too when I do, for STI reasons.

I know that my period is due to start sometime this week, and I’m getting all the usual signs (back pain and hip ache mostly)

I was wondering how exactly nexplanon can affect periods? Would it be normal to get all the symptoms but it not show up at all? I’ve had no spotting or anything at all since insertion.

Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Periods and the contraceptive implant

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Livteen,

The implant can potentially influence your menstrual cycle in a few different ways. Some people find that their periods mostly go away while using it, others experience increased irregularity in their cycle, and others experience periods that are heavier than they were prior to the implant. You can read more about that here: the Contraceptive Implant (Implanon) . With the symptoms you're feeling right now, it will basically be a matter of waiting to see if your cycle has stayed predictable.
Livteen
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her

Unread post by Livteen »

Hi Sam!

Thanks for your help.

I suffer with health anxiety, so this week is definitely gonna be a stressful week for me. I know the implant is great and super effective, but what it does to your menstrual cycle is bound to freak me out.

Just wanted to get a bit of clarity to show myself I have nothing to be worried about.

Thanks!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome! If you've been having ongoing anxiety issues, you may want to check out this resource guide to see if there are things in it that would be of use to you: Anxiety and Other Mental Health Resources
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic