What are you doing this weekend to take care of yourself?

When you want support through something scary or rough, and help pulling yourself together and getting through, this is the place.
Forum rules
We ask that users looking for general, ongoing emotional support post in this area of the boards, and that you use this space to both ask for, give and receive that support primarily from each other, rather than from our staff and volunteers. As a staff, we simply are often too overextended with all we need to do in running the organization and its services to do that for extended periods of time, and one of our main aims of our community at the boards has always been to facilitate peers to better be there for each other.

Users often report that they have no in-person peers they can talk to or seek support from: we want this to be a space for online peer support and somewhere everyone can get some practice asking for, getting and giving support so that doing it with people in your lives feels more doable.

Please remember that neither staff, volunteers nor your fellow users can provide or replace mental healthcare when that is something you need. Users struggling with issues like anxiety, depression, abuse or physical health issues are strongly encouraged to seek out qualified, in-person help with those issues in addition to peer or staff support.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

What are you doing this weekend to take care of yourself?

Unread post by Sam W »

If you're in the U.S, in addition to the general wave of stressful badness we're staring down the very likely outcome of someone who committed sexual assault being confirmed for a seat on the supreme court in spite of many, many, many people trying to prevent it. For a lot of us, that's going to feel so deeply awful (if you're an assault survivor yourself, Heather even made a space on the boards where you can come and get support about any stuff these hearings have brought up for you: http://www.scarleteen.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7915 )

So, it's important that we take time to do things to care for ourselves (and each other) and nurture the parts of our lives that make us happy. That's not to say we can't, or shouldn't, feel angry, sad, exhausted, or things like that. Only that it's good to make time for things that bring us relief from those tough feelings to avoid burning out completely.

I'm going to have an old horror movie double feature tonight (my library has a cool service called Kanopy that lets me stream a bunch of movies for free) and maybe have some tacos. And this weekend I'm going to decorate the house for Halloween and try making fondue at home.

How about you?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: What are you doing this weekend to take care of yourself?

Unread post by Mo »

I'm going to go to the farmers' market tomorrow morning to see if I can score a deal on an end-of-season big box of tomatoes, and if I can I want to make and can a bunch of sauce over the weekend. It's a bit of a long process but it makes me really happy to can something to enjoy later or give to friends.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic