If you're emotionally struggling with current events, what works as self-care?

When you want support through something scary or rough, and help pulling yourself together and getting through, this is the place.
Forum rules
We ask that users looking for general, ongoing emotional support post in this area of the boards, and that you use this space to both ask for, give and receive that support primarily from each other, rather than from our staff and volunteers. As a staff, we simply are often too overextended with all we need to do in running the organization and its services to do that for extended periods of time, and one of our main aims of our community at the boards has always been to facilitate peers to better be there for each other.

Users often report that they have no in-person peers they can talk to or seek support from: we want this to be a space for online peer support and somewhere everyone can get some practice asking for, getting and giving support so that doing it with people in your lives feels more doable.

Please remember that neither staff, volunteers nor your fellow users can provide or replace mental healthcare when that is something you need. Users struggling with issues like anxiety, depression, abuse or physical health issues are strongly encouraged to seek out qualified, in-person help with those issues in addition to peer or staff support.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

If you're emotionally struggling with current events, what works as self-care?

Unread post by Sam W »

Given the tire fire that is current events, some people are finding that their normal self-care techniques are not working as well. With that in mind, this is a space to share anything you've found helps you face the world these days.

Some of mine include:
-Small acts of care for other living things, like tending my plants or putting out the bird-feeder
-Playing with my dog
-Boxing exercises that require complete mental focus
-Taking moments to acknowledge and hold the actions of people working to make the world better
-Not looking at Twitter as much.
ladyrevan21
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My writing skills
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Re: If you're emotionally struggling with current events, what works as self-care?

Unread post by ladyrevan21 »

I write. A lot. I've found that writing really helps me. It's like my personal escape. Also, not reading the news helps. Also, listening to music.
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Sexual identity: hetero

Re: If you're emotionally struggling with current events, what works as self-care?

Unread post by Alice O »

I have found it helpful to do a combination of engaging with the world on a macro level and focusing much smaller.

In terms of engaging with the world, I've been trying to remember that history is long and their is so much wisdom to be gained from those who have come before us. And that the world is big, and there are so many people out there (most people, I believe) who want justice and equity. I've also been focusing on hope--reading Rebecca Solnit has been especially helpful.

And then coming back to myself, and stretching, and taking really hot showers, and burning candles...and laughing!! Laughing as much as I can.
books16
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I like to read and I can sew awesome garments
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she her
Sexual identity: atracted to the certain males and myself

Unread post by books16 »

when I need to unwind after a lot of stress especially because I have 3 weeks of school left so that =s crunch time. I like to sew it helps me to get a sense of accomplishment which i thrive for
then I LOVE to read I head on watt pad a lot to get lost in a story but I prefer having a hard cover in my hands even better,
and baths are heven on earth especially if i have good music and a book to read that is the best.
Avondran
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My empathy!
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by Avondran »

I love doing a skin routine to take care of my skin. Yoga helps as well! Hanging out with friends help me to unwind too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic