New-school-year self care

When you want support through something scary or rough, and help pulling yourself together and getting through, this is the place.
Forum rules
We ask that users looking for general, ongoing emotional support post in this area of the boards, and that you use this space to both ask for, give and receive that support primarily from each other, rather than from our staff and volunteers. As a staff, we simply are often too overextended with all we need to do in running the organization and its services to do that for extended periods of time, and one of our main aims of our community at the boards has always been to facilitate peers to better be there for each other.

Users often report that they have no in-person peers they can talk to or seek support from: we want this to be a space for online peer support and somewhere everyone can get some practice asking for, getting and giving support so that doing it with people in your lives feels more doable.

Please remember that neither staff, volunteers nor your fellow users can provide or replace mental healthcare when that is something you need. Users struggling with issues like anxiety, depression, abuse or physical health issues are strongly encouraged to seek out qualified, in-person help with those issues in addition to peer or staff support.
Sofi
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I make my own nail art!
Primary language: Spanish or English
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: Queer

New-school-year self care

Unread post by Sofi »

As summer ends (or winter, depending on where you are!) and a new school year (or semester) starts, it's normal to feel some stress. Okay, maybe even a lot of stress. Some of the challenges are social, some are school/workload related, or simply the change in routine can throw us off.

How are you planning on taking care of yourself during this time?

I know for me, when I start something new like a new school year or a new job, I make sure I schedule in some "me-time" at nights, after dinner/before bed, for a relaxing activity like coloring or playing a game. I also have to meal prep so the routine change doesn't affect me still eating enough meals a day, and coming up with a themed weekly dinner menu is a fun thing I do to help with this.

Here are some other ideas: Self-Care: A La Carte!

Feel free to share what you already do and/or plan on starting to do as self care!
Jacob
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Re: New-school-year self care

Unread post by Jacob »

I don't know if I do anything special, but I feel like any kind of clean slate beit a new job, a new school, a new hobby brings it's own joys to me.

So many simple pleasures to be had:
  • Concluding which pocket of my bagpack the pencil case goes in - yes!
  • Carefully customising a new notebook - lovely!
  • Printing off my upcoming timetables and putting them in a paper folder - sooo satisfying!
  • Perhaps the least relateable but satisfying of all: organising all my digital files into well-named folders - ooooooooh yeah!*
    * I'm especially fond of having a folder called "Archive" in every directory that needs it where I drag and drop everything I don't want to sort through, but also don't want to delete... I give a fresh chef's kiss of approval everytime a busy folder becomes a clean spread of subdirectories - mwah!
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Andy
Pronouns: She/they
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Andy »

I'm now very motivated to organise my folders, thank you!

As for me, I'm just starting university and it means a lot of organising and changes so sometimes it's practically impossible to plan ahead some me-time. So in addition to doing that I also consciously try to do things that must be done in a way that makes me feel good. For me this can include getting clothes in second hand shops, buying groceries in package-free shops, taking studying or writing emails outside or to a library I like, getting off the bus one station sooner and walking the rest of the way, cycling instead of driving...
Amanda B
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm an excellent cook!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: still figuring it out

Unread post by Amanda B »

I love this question! I am a few months into a new job and it definitely still feels like an adjustment. One of my favorite things to do is to remember to give myself grace. If I make a mistake or find myself particularly stressed, I try to treat myself like I'd treat a good friend. I remind myself it's okay to not be perfect, especially in such a new environment. I also remind myself that so much growth happens during challenging times or after making a mistake. Let yourself be imperfect!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic