Alarming change in discharge

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Inchy
not a newbie

Alarming change in discharge

Unread post by Inchy »

Hello:)
I have been on the contraceptive injection for 7 months now and I was late with getting the injection by a day. I have gotten my period through that time but this month I am 8 days late and I have darker discharge than usual.i only participate in oral sex and manual sex not vagina intercourse.i would just like to know if my brown discharge and absent period is due to me being on the contraceptive injection or should I worry about a possible pregnancy?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Alarming change in discharge

Unread post by Heather »

Are you current with your general sexual healthcare, including tests for infections?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Inchy
not a newbie

Unread post by Inchy »

I don't have any infections at all :) I'm just not sure if the contraceptive injection could be the reason for an absent period and a change in the usual discharge colour? :)
Inchy
not a newbie

Unread post by Inchy »

I mean slightly darker, not entirely brown. It's a darker shade than usual, but it has occurred before when I was late but not on any contraceptive. I'm just not sure if I should worry about not having a period and having darker discharge or if it caused by me being on the contraceptive injection?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

If you have recently been checked for infections and are all clear, this is likely nothing to worry about. But ultimately, when you're concerned about something like this, your healthcare provider is who to check in with.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Inchy
not a newbie

Unread post by Inchy »

Okay but can the absent period is a consequence of the contraceptive injection?? So the darkend discharge is not something to worry about? I'm so worried it is not related to the injection? Is this the case? :(
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

It could be that what you're seeing right now is the beginning of your withdrawal bleed (which is what we call your "period" when you're on hormonal birth control). Whether it's that or something else we really can't know; the reason Heather suggested you contact a doctor if you're worried is that we really can't diagnose things online, when it takes someone doing an examination to have a better sense of what's going on - plus we aren't doctors. I agree with her thought that this is most likely not something to be concerned about, but if you are feeling that way, checking with a healthcare provider is your next step.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic