Bleeding after sex or period?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
lovingluna
Awesomeness Quotient: Very big heart.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her

Bleeding after sex or period?

Unread post by lovingluna »

Hi, thank you in advance for your help. ☺️

I posted on here in March about bleeding after losing my virginity and/or experiencing an irregular period. I saw a gynecologist and she thought that my bleeding was just an irregular period and wasn’t too worried since it’s the first time I experienced a period only two weeks apart, but if it were to happen again then it should be something to look into. Now 24 days later, I was due to have my period yesterday and I started bleeding, but I had sex the day before that and I am not sure if I’m bleeding because of having sex or if it is my period. I don’t know if it’s just a coincidence that the first time I had sex I got my period early or just started bleeding and now I had sex again and now I am bleeding. Another thing to complicate the situation is that we had unprotected sex (which I am extremely disappointed in myself for not thinking straight or being responsible), so I took an emergency contraceptive pill, Plan B, within 24 hours of having sex because I wanted to lower my risk of pregnancy since I am not on any birth control. I read that it is possible to either have a heavier period or lighter period and sometimes you might not get your period until a couple days later after taking Plan B. I was bleeding a decent amount yesterday, but now I’m not really bleeding so much. I don’t know if I’m bleeding from having sex or if this is my period and it’s just lighter because I took emergency contraceptive.

I guess I am just here to talk this through because I don’t really have anyone to talk to. I am going to make an appointment with a different gynecologist and see what is going on. To be honest, I don’t think this is my period because it doesn’t feel like how they usually are, I don’t have any cramps, no heavy flow, the color of the blood isn’t as dark red as it usually is, I’m not bloated, and I feel pretty good. Usually my periods are the opposite, very bad cramps, heavy flow, dark red blood, I get bloated, and I don’t feel well. I think I might be bleeding because of having sex and that concerns me because everything I have read on the internet about bleeding after sex does not seem good.
I know that the only thing to do is see a gynecologist and wait to see what happens and go from there. I guess I just wanted to get this off my chest. It helps to talk to someone. And maybe there might be someone else experiencing this and know that they are not alone.
I apologize for such a long post. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Bleeding after sex or period?

Unread post by Mo »

I'm glad you're making an appointment with a new gynecologist; I agree that that's going to be your best next step here. Since you're worried that this might be bleeding related to sex, do you want to talk at all about ways to avoid that in the future? Were you experiencing pain as well?
Also, if you want to talk about your birth control options, or ways to talk to your partner about only wanting to be sexually active when there's a form of birth control being used, we'd be happy to do that as well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic