Is it possible to get high risk HPV from being fingered?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Tassha1223
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I am reliable
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Is it possible to get high risk HPV from being fingered?

Unread post by Tassha1223 »

I was just curious if that is even possible.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Is it possible to get high risk HPV from being fingered?

Unread post by Heather »

Not if that's the only kind of sex going on, because the strains of HPV that are sexually transmitted and high-risk aren't the strains that create warts on the hands. The kind of HPV you're asking about can only be transmitted through genital-genital contact, oral-genital contact or hand-genital contact (where the person with HPV touching your genitals had also been touching their own). Even in that last case, it's thought to be more of a theoretical risk than an actual one.

This is one of those things, though, where I feel like it's easy to not even have to think about it if people are washing their hands before manual sex, something everyone should ALWAYS do just because hands carry so much bacteria all the time. So, just like of course we should all wash our hands before eating, the same goes with what we should do (and ask partners to do if we have to, though hopefully we don't have to ask, because hopefully they have at least basic hygiene skills before they're doing something as advanced as being sexual with another person) before putting them inside anyone's pants.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic