Sex Ed Question...

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
jam2
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Memer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: He
Sexual identity: Straight

Sex Ed Question...

Unread post by jam2 »

What exactly are the mechanics behind manual sex that enables it to be a no risk sexual activity? I just can't seem to wrap my head around the factors at play, considering the fact that bodily fluids are also taken into account.
I would really appreciate it if you guys were to give me an answer to my curious question! :lol:

Specifically the mechanics behind it. Thanks!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Sex Ed Question...

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi jam2,

Can you take a look at these two articles for me to see if they clarify things for you?
Human Reproduction: A Seafarer's Guide
Who's Afraid of Sperm Cells?
jam2
not a newbie

Unread post by jam2 »

Based from what I have read on the articles, they are just susceptible to temperature and pH levels? I'm not quite sure I'm getting this right though...

Does physical contact also affect them anyway? Like if I were to touch them?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Basically, yes. Sperm require certain conditions in order to potentially co-create a pregnancy, condition that simply aren't going to be present with manual sex.
jam2
not a newbie

Unread post by jam2 »

Also I have read from the Human Reproduction article that sperm need semen in order to swim in. Is this the same with pre-ejaculate? Are sperm not able to swim properly inside pre-ejaculate?

Sorry if I am pestering you with my questions. I am just trying to learn better reproductive education.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I think something here might have been missed, so I'm just checking: you know that manual sex is ONLY sex that's about a hand or fingers and one set of genitals, right? That it doesn't actually account for fluid exchange because there isn't any between penis/vagina to consider when manual sex is what's going on?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
jam2
not a newbie

Unread post by jam2 »

Is it not fluid exchange if pre-ejaculate and vaginal fluids meet, whether or not it is through genitals or fingers? From what I see, based on your statement, pre-ejaculate from fingers to the vagina does not count as fluid exchange and in the process does not give the conditions needed for pregnancy and thus makes it no risk? Am I getting it right, Heather?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Human reproduction isn't something that happens when semen and vaginal fluids meet (a uterus and ovum are required at the very least!), but again, that is not something that will happen anyway with manual sex which is ONLY hands/fingers + genitals.

Hands and fingers do not produce semen, and vaginal fluids or semen alone can't create a pregnancy. This is why manual sex doesn't pose pregnancy risks.

Are you assuming a scenario in which, for some reason, hands involved in manual sex with a vulva are already covered in semen from another activity? If so, again, that is not part of manual sex, and if the people involved in that activity didn't want to take STI and pregnancy risks, the person whose hands were involved here would merely need to wash them, which is customary anyway. :P
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
jam2
not a newbie

Unread post by jam2 »

So there is really only a risk with semen, because with the pre-ejaculate the conditions are not possible?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Honestly, I feel like you are just not hearing me, and I can’t sort out why.

Hands and fingers do not produce semen OR pre-ejaculate. Manual sex does not pose pregnancy risks because manual sex does not involve EITHER genital fluid-sharing or genital-to-genital contact, the things necessary for the possibility of pregnancy.
Stephanie97
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/ her

Unread post by Stephanie97 »

I think the question is pre ejaculate on a hand that could be transferred to the vagina posing a risk for pregnancy!
Stephanie97
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/ her

Unread post by Stephanie97 »

The articles that are referred about these questions say that with the manual sex category that pre ejacualate is taken into account but I believe the question being posed is how is this possible if there is technically a sharing of fluids via possible Precum on hand

(That’s at least just to my understanding)
jam2
not a newbie

Unread post by jam2 »

Yes, I think Stephanie got the gist of my query!
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

If you’re referring to our articles that explain pregnancy risks, what they say is that fluids are taken into account in determining those risks. But not all activities involve fluid sharing, so that will not even be a factor in some.

I feel confident we have literally explained this to death right now, but here we go one more time for good measure: manual sex - when ONLY manual sex is happening, not other activities - doesn’t pose a pregnancy risk by itself because it involves NEITHER direct genital contact nor fluid sharing, the things needed for the possibility of pregnancy. Outside lab conditions, BOTH of those things are generally required for a pregnancy to occur, and quite specifically, but there always needs to be at least one. That’s really all there is to it.

Going to close this thread now because it is just not a productive use of our time and resources to keep going round and round with this: the answer here isn’t going to change and we just can’t simplify it any more than we have.
Locked Previous topicNext topic