Need help with menstrual cup, and my body

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
*Newbie*
Awesomeness Quotient: Expressive, opinionated, humble, & always learning
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Trying to figure if i am straight or asexual

Need help with menstrual cup, and my body

Unread post by *Newbie* »

So, i finally finally found the exact place I’ve been searching for months. I am 22 almost and completely new to my own body, no sexual experience whatsoever. But recently i decided to switch to menstrual cups than pads. I had no one than google to tell me about my “v”. So i bought the cup and my dates are very near but i thought I should first feel at least a finger inside me before anything material.
I tried putting my finger into my vagina but it’s not going. Something is really blocking the way. I don’t even know if that’s the right “hole” even. I try to feel it based on all the diagrams i found everywhere. But i cannot push my finger inside. It doesn’t go easy as i learned from everyone else. After like 1-2 cm i feel wierd and i just pull away and I’ve been trying since days.
I tried to relax and all but it just doesn’t open. I don’t want to hurt myself. But I don’t know if that happens with every girl or if it is just me.
I really want to use cups but i started feeling it’s not for me maybe.
Can someone please help me with this.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Need help with menstrual cup, and my body

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Newbie,

We're glad you found us! It sounds like you've been trying to get more familiar with your body, which is great. Have you used a mirror at all to help you when you've been trying to figure out what's what on your genitals? If not, that would be a sound next step, since it would help you see the same parts on your body that you see on the diagrams. You may also want to check out this article if you haven't already to see if any of the advice in it helps you out: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advic ... hould_i_do

Too, if you're trying to insert your finger when you're tense or unaroused, it's not going to slide right in, so your instinct to try and find ways to relax is a good one. Can you tell me a little more about how you try to relax when you do this?
*Newbie*

Hello, thanks for the reply. I did what you said and also tried other thing while trying the finger. And it worked. I realised I only needed to be aroused and lub’d naturally. So I am comfortable with the inside of me now (thanks to your site).
As for the menstrual cup, I thought it’d be easier then because of the flow and it widens at that time. But I could not insert the whole cup as it seems too big. Though the size of the cup is not the problem. Maybe i just need practice. I know by now how to put it in and where and upto where but it’s not going in. Should i make myself aroused intentionally while doing it for the first time? Do you think it happens with most of the girls while putting something that wide for the first time?
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Newbie,

I'm glad to hear it helped!

With inserting the cup, it can definitely take some practice to get it in smoothly, especially if you aren't used to inserting things into your vaginal canal. One of the things people who use the cup find really influences the ease of getting it in is the position they sit or stand in to insert it. If you haven't already tried it, a lot of people find standing with one foot up on something (like a bathtub or toilet lid) helps insertion be much smoother. Have you experimented much with your position when you've tried inserting the cup?
*Newbie*

Okay so I tried many positions like you said, different folds as well. And it didn’t work. I am so frustrated at this moment and i am almost crying. All the videos and sites talk about similar things and all the women out there are like, they had no problem at all. The most i could do was to put it halfway into the vagina and the half was outside the body and i began feeling that it was opening so it started to pain a little. I took a break. It still didn’t happen the next time.
I asked one of my friend, she’s my age, virgin, bought the same cup and she said she never had any issue.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time. If it helps a little, know that we certainly have heard from other people having trouble trying to use cups before. You are not anything close to the first one.

How about taking a break from trying for a little while? Can you stick to pads for now? You can always try again next period or a few down the road.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
*Newbie*

I am sorry, I didn’t mean to point out people who had such problems or worse.
I am going to take a break as you said. I will update when and if i start using it normally.
Your team’s work and dedication is truly appreciated.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

No need to apologize, I believe Heather was simply reassuring you that you're not the only person to have experienced this issue. :)

I'm glad you found your interactions with us helpful!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic