Bumps on Labia

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
milkwithice
Awesomeness Quotient: I can be friends with just about anyone.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual

Bumps on Labia

Unread post by milkwithice »

So I’ve noticed recently that I have bumps on my labia minora. Actually, that’s a lie. I noticed them about 4 years ago. They’re like a pimple because they’re spherical and white but I’ve tried squeezing one to see if it ‘pops’ but chickend out because it hurt too much. (The feeling was exactly the same as pinching a really small piece of your skin).

It doesn’t hurt unless I pinch them, thought. I’m a Virgin Capital V (never kissed nor had sex) but I can think of instances when I’ve probably gotten someone’s body fluids in me. Ex: getting a waterfall from someone’s water bottle, a kid sneezing on my face, sharing a tub of ice cream with a friend. I don’t think that the bumps are an STD but then again I’m so so sure that they’re not.

One of my labia is 2x as large as the other one. They’re a dark brown color while my skin is tan. According, I have more of these bumps on my larger labia. (Having one labia larger than the other doesn’t bother me, don’t worry). It’s the disgusting bumps that make me feel dirty.

I don’t know what else they could be? STD? Cancer?
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetero

Re: Bumps on Labia

Unread post by Alice O »

Hey milkwithice,

Welcome to the boards!

So I'm pretty sure that you are talking about Fordyce spots (though of course I am not sure since we are online and I am not a medical provider!). Here's a little info about Fordyce spots from the University of Santa Barbara's Sociology Department's Sex Info section:

"Fordyce spots, or sebaceous granules, are a non-STI dermatological condition characterized by clusters of small (1 to 3 mm) elevated bumps or spots on various parts of the body. They can appear pale red, yellowish-white, or skin-colored and most commonly appear on the glans or shaft of the penis, the scrotum, the labia, or on the edges of the lips. Fordyce spots are a variation of sebaceous glands, which are normally responsible for lubricating the skin and hair follicles. Fordyce spots are a highly common condition, presenting themselves in around 70 to 80% of the adult population at any given time."

Does this sound right? If so, does knowing what they are make them feel less "disgusting"?

If not/if you want to be sure, or if they start causing you any pain/discomfort, then you can make an appointment with your healthcare provider to get them looked at. How does that sound?

Also, quick clarification about STIs: while there are some infections that are classified as STIs that can be transmitted, non-sexually, for example oral herpes/HIV/Hepatitis, the activities that you are describing (sharing water, ice-cream etc.) might cause a contraction of a common cold, or mono, or something like that, but would not cause bumps on the vulva. Does that make sense?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic