Spotting 1 week before my period?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
alksa1
Pronouns: she/her

Spotting 1 week before my period?

Unread post by alksa1 »

I've been on birth control for years, but on my current brand/dosage for 6 months now. I missed one pill 2 months ago, otherwise I have perfect use. I am sexually active (though I use condoms and pull out in addition to the pill), so I don't think pregnancy is a concern? But I've never had spotting before that has required me to use a liner. I'm worried that this is a sign that my pill isn't "working" (as I'm hoping to ditch condoms eventually). My period should be starting in 1 week and my period otherwise has been like clockwork, so I'm a little confused/scared by this. Is this normal even after being on birth control for this long? I understand it's normal when adjusting to a new pill, but this is very new for me. Thanks!
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetero

Re: Spotting 1 week before my period?

Unread post by Alice O »

Hey Alksa,

Welcome to the boards! Glad to have you here :)

- Sounds like right now you are using 3 birth control methods (the pill, condoms, and withdrawal or "pulling out"). That means you are very protected against pregnancy. In the 99.9%+ range. (You can read more about the effectiveness of combing birth control methods here:
The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method
).

- We often expect our periods to come like clockwork, and the reality is--they often don't! For some people that irregularity comes up often, for others it's more infrequent. There are so many factors that can influence whether we have a period or don't, or whether it comes late, or how long it lasts--yes of course pregnancy, but also stress, exercise, weight loss, hormones, birth control etc. So I'm not worried that you're having a bit of irregular spotting. That being said, if it would help give you peace of mind, you can always check in with your pharmacist or doctor!

- Do you know how the pill works? If not, we can tell you a bit about that. It is, understandably, often helpful for people to know how exactly their birth control is working in order to trust that it's doing it's job. And it can help explain why some different side effects can happen!

- If you do decide to stop using condoms, feel free to check back in to discuss you and partner protecting yourself from STIs. Or we can chat now. Whatever you prefer!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic