My friends refuse anything to do with puberty or sex

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Morning star
Awesomeness Quotient: I can quote Harry Potter at the speed of light
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her they/them
Sexual identity: Comfortable

My friends refuse anything to do with puberty or sex

Unread post by Morning star »

My friends never let me talk about something sex related. And I’m not talking “oh have you lost your virginity?” I’m talking anything sex related.
An example of this wasn’t even talking we were all drawing on whiteboards when we had finished our work. I drew a women and I gave her breasts for obvious reasons (that’s how a women’s body is built) and they started gasping and talking about how gross it was.
I’m not sure how to get through to them as periods have just started and I need support and not from teachers or adults but from someone my age who can connect with me but they refuse to talk about anything in that direction.
How do I get through to them? :?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: My friends refuse anything to do with puberty or sex

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Morning Star,

That sounds like a frustrating situation, especially since you're hoping that your friends will be people you can talk to about things like periods. While people definitely have different comfort levels talking about sexual things (and that's okay), it sounds like they're attaching some shame or stigma to anything that could be vaguely seen as sexual, which isn't great. It's not the exact same situation, but this article offer advice on a similar scenario to what you're experiencing: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/relat ... _about_sex . While there's no guarantee you'll be able to get through to them, a first step in addressing this situation is figuring out why they're reacting this way. Have you ever had the chance to ask them that?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic