Developing breasts

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Lynngirl15
Awesomeness Quotient: My eyes can see lies
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her/transgirl
Sexual identity: female

Developing breasts

Unread post by Lynngirl15 »

My Transgirl friend has the prescription for her Grandmother's HRT meds! Will it help her develop boobs until she can get her own?
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Re: Developing breasts

Unread post by Siân »

Hi Lynngirl15

I understand that your friend might be eager to start on hormones but taking someone else's meds really isn't a sound option for a couple of reasons. When someone starts hormones they need the support of their medical provider to make sure that they're not exposed to additional risks and get them on the best treatment for them. The dosage needs to be calibrated to make sure it's suitable for her and that the way she is taking the medication is appropriate for her lifestyle and needs. Another important fact when we're talking about HRT medication for menopause is that it tends to use different hormones to those used for transgirls and women. Risking taking the wrong drugs at the wrong dosage isn't a sound option.

Take a read through our Trans Summer School series and share it with your friend: Trans Summer School: The Magic of Hormones

So, what if we talk about other ways we can support your friend in her transition? For example, does she need advice and support on accessing healthcare? Is she looking for ways to express her gender identity until she can start this kind of treatment? These are all things we can talk to her (or you) about to make that wait for hormones a little more bearable.

You can see the whole of our Trans Summer School series here: http://www.scarleteen.com/tags/trans_summer_school
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Developing breasts

Unread post by Heather »

(I also want to add that if and when you use someone else's prescription, that person won't be able to get access, or all the access they need, to their own medication for their own health issues that medication is for, which is -- hopefully -- obviously super not cool.)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic