Bleeding after first time, but is it just my period?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Orangepeel54
Awesomeness Quotient: My humor
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Girl

Bleeding after first time, but is it just my period?

Unread post by Orangepeel54 »

I had sex for the first time on the 4th. I knew there was a possibility of bleeding so I looked out for it and didn't see any. But on the 6th when I woke up I had a bit of cramping and blood, like a period, which it only would have been a week early. So I figured it was just that. But I had no more blood for the rest of the day or today. Could my hymen have just broken?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Bleeding after first time, but is it just my period?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Orangepeel,

We can't say for certain what's causing the bleeding, although if it's paired with cramping and other symptoms that you associate with your period, then it's likely a sign your period is coming soon.

What we can say is that it isn't a sign your hymen is broken because the hymen (or vaginal corona) isn't something that can break. You can read more about why that is in this article: My Corona: The Anatomy Formerly Known as the Hymen & the Myths That Surround It . It is possible for the vaginal corona to get scratched or tear during sex if a person is tense or their isn't enough lube present, but if that was the case you would have seen the blood soon after you had sex. Does that make sense?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic