cramping on birth control

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
steph
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her

cramping on birth control

Unread post by steph »

So I have been taking birth control for over 3 years now and eveything’s been cool. However, my cousin passed away in february & my mind was else where so i wasn't really in the mood to call and get a refill on my prescription for next month, so I kind of just stopped taking them when I was on my last week which are the placebo pills around february 4th and got my period a day or two later. After that, I didn’t go get my pills until about 2-3 weeks later which was last weekend. I finally started on my new pack on Monday Feb. 26th and have been experiencing cramping ever since, everyday. It’s been light cramping during the day & gets just a little intense at night, but not that bad because I sleep fine, sometimes I just use a heating pad to manage with the cramps. I would just like to know if the cramps are common or normal & nothing to be worried about? Thanks.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: cramping on birth control

Unread post by Heather »

Any other weird stuff besides this? And how severe are the cramps?

Too, if you have been sexually active, especially if you’re not also using condoms, are you current with your STI screenings and other sexual healthcare?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
steph

Unread post by steph »

No, the cramping. At first I thought if it could be because of my period because i started taking the pills last monday and im suppose to get my period either tomorrow or tuesday. I did have sex on tuesday but we used a condom, and either way the cramping started that monday i took the first pill.
the cramps aren’t that bad, they’re a bit moderate, and yes I was just tested a couple months ago.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Got it, sometimes unexplained cramping can indicate an STI so knowing your status helps eliminate some causes. If the cramping has been going on for a week, then it would be sound to check in with a healthcare provider to see what could be causing it and if there's a way to get it to stop.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic