Negative thoughts on sex

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Bumble bee
Awesomeness Quotient: I love music, being in band and writing.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Negative thoughts on sex

Unread post by Bumble bee »

Hello! I'm new here and joined because of this certain question that I've been having. I've had a very bad experience with sex when I was a child, something involving sexual harassment, inappropriate touching etc. and let's just say these thoughts haunt me till this day. I can't sleep at night sometimes due to the fact that I cant stop thinking about how boys just want to use me, and hurt me. Should I seek a therapist for this? Is there any way to help myself? I wish I could reset my thoughts on sex because every time I think about anything involving it I just end up feeling very dirty.... :cry: I hate it so much. I wish I could view sex as the beautiful thing it is, the joining of two souls. but it just scares me and seems like something so disgusting.
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Re: Negative thoughts on sex

Unread post by Siân »

Hi Bumble bee,

Welcome to the boards. I'm so sorry that this is what has brought you here today. I hope you know that whatever happened, it was not your fault. You have a couple of questions in your post, so I'll start there.

Yes, many people find that therapy is an important part of their healing process. If this is something that sounds like it might be helpful for you, we can help you seek out resources in your area if that's something you need. First off, why not take a look at this article and see what you think Process This: Getting the Most Out of Therapy? There are links to more at the bottom, but I don't want to overload you straight off.

As for helping yourself, self care is really important, especially when we are feeling bad. Some people find journaling helpful for processing their feelings for example, or doing things that make them feel good about themselves or in their bodies. There's a whole load of ideas for self-care here: Self-Care a La Carte

How about reading them, and then if you have any questions, or want to talk about something in more detail come back here?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic