boyfriend and sti testing

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
phantom_dog
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: i think i'm pretty hilarious tbh
Primary language: english
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: gay

boyfriend and sti testing

Unread post by phantom_dog »

hey everyone,

so my boyfriend and i recently began getting sexual in our relationship (nothing too explicit, mainly just hand-to-genital stuff) and i really want for us both to get tested for sti's before we make the leap into oral sex. the problem is, i'm a virgin and he isn't -- and his previous partner was very sexually abusive. i'm not sure how to bring up the topic of sti testing without upsetting/triggering flashbacks to his abuse, but this is something i really want to get done to ensure the health of the both of us. how should i bring it up to him? what can i do in the event he does get upset/triggered? thanks!!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: boyfriend and sti testing

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi terezichan,

It's great that you want to practice safer sex while also being sensitive to the abuse in your boyfriend's past. I think you could phrase your desire to get tested to him the same way you've phrased it to us here: that it's something you want done because your health and his health are important. That's an honest way to present the idea, and it also makes it clear that this request is coming from a place of care rather than a place of control.

As far as what happens if this conversation turns out to be a trauma cue, your reaction depends a lot on what things he finds helpful when he's having a flashback or other trauma-connected emotion. Have you and he had any discussions about how you can help him in those moments?
phantom_dog
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: i think i'm pretty hilarious tbh
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: gay

Unread post by phantom_dog »

we haven't sat down and had an actual discussion about it, but i've been with him while he was having flashbacks and experiencing painful memories of his abuser. it helps to give him a bit of space but still be there with him.

but actually, shortly after i posted this yesterday he and i did have a conversation about stds (not necessarily pertaining to us) where i brought up that i think it's important for couples to get tested before having sex, and we discussed places we can get tested. so i think we're good now! i'm not sure when we'll get tested, but i know this topic is on the table and i intend on bringing it up again on when we should go. thank you for your help!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I also want to back you up and let you know that testing is about caring for ourselves and each other, so I think that asking for it sends a very different message than any abuse he suffered likely sent. You are clearly very sensitive about his history, so I think you can trust yourself with this and related topics. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic