Is this normal?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Hoosier1202
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My confidence
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Is this normal?

Unread post by Hoosier1202 »

Hey there,

I recently started an ultra low dose birth control pill (this is my first month to be exact). I have experienced a few minor side effects such as nausea, and have been good about taking the pill each day at around the same time. I just took my fourth and final sugar pill last night but still haven't gotten my period or even light bleeding. Is it normal to not bleed while on the pill even after only one month of them or have I just not gotten it yet?
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Is this normal?

Unread post by al »

Hi there Hoosier, and welcome to Scarleteen!

It sounds like you may not have gotten your period yet, and that's okay. It's pretty common for folks to experience irregular cycles or symptoms when they make major changes to their hormonal birth control (starting, stopping, or taking Plan B). We usually like to say it'll take a few months for things to even themselves out and for the cycle to become predictable. (It's also true that other things like stress, exercise, and diet can delay/lighten/stop periods! You can read all about that at MIA, or Dude, Where's My Period?.)
As long as you keep taking your birth control the way it's prescribed (and you're not experiencing anything like severe pain or bleeding), things should straighten themselves out!
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Hoosier1202
not a newbie

After looking at the estrogen level on my pill pack and reading that article, it seems like low estrogen levels in my pills are the reason! The article did mention that after missing two periods, I should talk to my healthcare provider. Does this mean if the same thing happens next month, and I don't get my period again, I should talk to my doctor about it?
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by al »

Hi Hoozier, when we say "missing two periods" we usually mean once your cycle has stabilized and become dependable - once you've already had several beyond the first 3 months or so, when your body's still getting used to these new hormone levels. :)
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Hoosier1202
not a newbie

That makes sense :) Thank you so much for your help!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic