Mood swings while on BCP

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
wisdom5
Pronouns: she/her

Mood swings while on BCP

Unread post by wisdom5 »

Hi everyone!
I've been taking the birth control pill for about a year (switching three different brands) and it has made my periods lighter and less painful; the problem is that I've been suffering from episodes (not a constant thing) of depression and anxiety since I was 12 (I'm 19 now), and I'm suspecting that the BCP hasn't help me much: I've cried a lot in any time of my menstrual cycle and I've had anger attacks, which I've never had before.
Obviously, I've considered a non-hormonal method, but I don´t feel totally safe using condoms alone and the truth is that my partner and I feel more comfortable without them. Also, my "natural" period is heavier and crampier so the Copper IUD is out too. I thought about inserting the hormonal IUD or the implant but I am so scary about more mood swings on any hormonal method.
I just want to hear your experiences because I've read that some of you had the same issues while on BCP but most of you didn't mention to which method you changed and HOW you realized that was the BCP the cause of all of it and not other things like personal problems. I also read this post, which was very useful: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advic ... oody_pills but some girls say that the IUD, for example, caused them depression or mood swings. I am so confused right now. I will be so thankful for all your comments!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Mood swings while on BCP

Unread post by Heather »

The hormone in IUDs with hormone is localized, so associations between it and depression are questionable.

I suggest you have this discussion with your sexual/reproductive healthcare provider and, if you have one, your mental healthcare provider. Your pill may or may not be playing any part in this, and the best way to really get as clear as possible about that would be by having yourself evaluated in both respects. Of course, if you have not been getting any kind of treatment for your depression, that is probably the biggest problem here, and I would suggest you make getting that help and care your top priority.

Just getting off the pill is unlikely to create any major changes to any of this, if at all. Getting treatment for your depression, ITOH, is.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic