Birth control

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
KrisS
Awesomeness Quotient: Eyes
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Female

Birth control

Unread post by KrisS »

Ok so I was taking microgestin fe 1/20 for 2 weeks and about 3 days it made me have spotting so I switched without finishing the pills to Daysee. Microgestin is a 4 week pack where 3 weeks you don’t get your period the 4th week you do, I stopped the 3rd week on January 3rd so I didn’t get my period. I had unprotected sex the day I switched January 3rd can I be pregnant? I never not took a pill and took it at the same time everyday I just don’t know if switching pills could make me pregnant.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Birth control

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi KrisS,

Switching pill brands will not automatically decrease the effectiveness, assuming that there were no gaps in coverage. However, to make sure I have the timeline right, you've been on a birth control pill of some kind for six weeks, correct?
KrisS
Awesomeness Quotient: Eyes
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Female

Unread post by KrisS »

I’ve been taking birth control since July 2017. I’ve been on three different ones from July to now. But I haven’t missed a pill in a while.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi KrisS,

As Sam said, that doesn't reduce effectiveness, if anything it sounds like you had sex within the window of the previous birthcontrol, so it wouldn't make a difference.

Sidenote: If you are experiencing anxiety around pregnancy despite this know that this isn't something we can help with.

Adding condoms can make birth control more effective and reassuring, taking pregnancy tests to remind yourself you are not pregnant can be helpful too, holding back from sex if it's stressing you out can be a relief too but with anxiety itself, we advise people seek support specific to mental health, rather than sexual health.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic