Can a doctor tell if I have had sex ?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Yalexandra0328
Awesomeness Quotient: I like being active
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight

Can a doctor tell if I have had sex ?

Unread post by Yalexandra0328 »

My mom wants to take me to the doctor to check if I have lost my virginity, can the doctor tell if I have lost it or not ? & can they make me take that test?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Can a doctor tell if I have had sex ?

Unread post by Heather »

There is no such test that exists for this.

For sure, if people test positive for pregnancy or an STI, then someone can usually know that person was sexually assaulted or took part in consensual sex, but that’s it.

But an educated, credible healthcare provider is not letting a parent even make an an appointment for a “virginity test,” because there isn’t such a thing AND because they are not going to appreciate a parent even trying to get that private information of yours through them: that isn’t healthcare.

In the event she makes you an OB/GYN visit, understand that a) you have the right to refuse that care or any exams, guaranteed to you by law and b) if you decide you want that healthcare, your privacy is also protected by law. The healthcare providers cannot lawfully give the information they gather from that exam, or anything you asked or told them during, to parents without your permission unless withholding that information put your life at risk (like if you had HIV you were not treating).
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic