Doubts about perfect pill use for a newbie

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Buongiornocara
Awesomeness Quotient: My constant energy
Primary language: English and Spanish
Pronouns: She/her

Doubts about perfect pill use for a newbie

Unread post by Buongiornocara »

Good day everyone!
Here’s my situation: I am about to complete my second month on birth control pills, and at the moment I am on the last active pill of this pack and about to start the sugar/inactive pills tomorrow (my brand contains 4 inactive pills and 24 active pills).

Yesterday, I had intercourse with my boyfriend for the first time, unprotected (we’ve never been with other people before). I have not missed a pill and being very careful with taking it; however, on the first week of this same pack (so like more than 3 weeks ago) I took one of the pills almost 8 hours late (instead of taking it at 6 PM, i took it later at 1 AM) and continued the rest of the pack as instructed and correctly. During this first week, I was still on my period (for this brand, I need to start a new pack right after the sugar pills even if i’m still bleeding).

So my question, as ridiculous as it may sound (i worry easily), is... would that late pill weeks ago affect in any way the efficiency of the overall pill now? I didn’t have any type of sexual activity before or after the late pill, just until now (almost the end of the pack), but I’ve read that the first week of pills is the most important one, so that keeps me on edge.
Any information or answer to this will be greately appreciated.
Thank you!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Doubts about perfect pill use for a newbie

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Buongiornocara,

You actually have a 12 hour window before a pill is even considered late (I'm assuming you are on a combination pill and not a mini-pill, and please correct me if I'm wrong). So the pill you took eight hours late should not have compromised the effectiveness of your pill pack for this month. Does that make sense?
Buongiornocara
Awesomeness Quotient: My constant energy
Primary language: English and Spanish
Pronouns: She/her

Re: Doubts about perfect pill use for a newbie

Unread post by Buongiornocara »

Yes, thank you! And indeed it is a combination pill.

Thank you for the answer :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic