Missing periods = not ovulating?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
chalk
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

Missing periods = not ovulating?

Unread post by chalk »

I'm 20 and I haven't had a period in almost 6 months - I'm going to get it checked (although it's not the first time), but I was still wondering if it means I haven't been ovulating. Or is it not that related?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Missing periods = not ovulating?

Unread post by Heather »

That can be one reason for skipped periods, but there are also others, like not having enough body fat and/or disordered eating, for example.

By all means, though, if you first started getting your period more than five years ago, and have now missed one for half a year, and this has also happened before, I'd encourage you to talk to a healthcare provider to make sure this isn't about anything that needs treatment or where you need to get some help with health habits.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
chalk
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

Unread post by chalk »

Thank you for your answer! Yeah, I will definitely make an appointment as soon as possible, but I posted here since I wasn't able to find specific information about this anywhere else.
Also, do missing periods automatically mean that a person is not ovulating? Or ovulation is still possible and we just cannot know?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

People can still ovulate but not menstruate, yes.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic