How reliable are (home) pregnancy tests?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
red_hoodie
Pronouns: she/her

How reliable are (home) pregnancy tests?

Unread post by red_hoodie »

I've heard that if you take a pregnancy test and it's negative you might still be pregnant (you might have tested too early, hormone levels might be abnormally low, etc.) but if you get a positive pregnancy test you are pregnant (unless you've had fertility treatments).

Is this true?

I've heard a lot of women tell me that they tested negative on a pregnancy test when their period was due and kept getting negatives until about two weeks after their period was due.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: How reliable are (home) pregnancy tests?

Unread post by Heather »

Exactly as reliable as they say on their boxes (they would be breaking laws otherwise), which is around 99%.

And indeed, false negatives are way, way more common than false positives, which are highly unusual. I don't know how many women "a lot" is, but by all means, pregnancy tests generally can only usually work after a period is late or missed, and that generally will be at least around a week after it was expected, so what you're describing isn't that far outside that window, and is as we'd expect. In other words, it sounds like the women you have talked to about this maybe didn't realize that in general medical parlance, a late period is one that's five or more days later than the very latest it was expected by, and may have taken tests too soon.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic