When to test?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
finnishglass
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Resilience
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: heterosexual

When to test?

Unread post by finnishglass »

Hello there! I tried to find a similar question in your boards but couldn't, I'm very sorry if this has been asked in the past but I can't retrieve it! Anyway, I'm a young woman with an irregular period, it goes from 35 to 40 days. Always had protected intercourse with my boyfriend (condoms used from beginning til the end, not broken nor slipped) but my period is currently 7 days late (cycle duration:42 days!) and I just want to get it off my head and do an at home preg test, even though I probably shouldn't worry that much.

The question is: when should I test to get an accurate result? I have no idea when I ovulated bc my period is unpredictable, and I read about results not being accurate if you don't test at the right time, and most information found even on your site seems to refer to girls with a regular period and a predictable ovulation, what should I do? Thank you so much for your kind work, you guys rock!
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: When to test?

Unread post by Redskies »

Welcome to the boards!

When you take a pregnancy test, you always want to follow the instructions that come with that particular test - that'll include information about the earliest time that particular test can give a reliable result.

Generally, you can test from any point once your period is late. A late period, technically, is one that hasn't shown up by 5 days after the latest day you would normally expect your period - from what you said, your own normal latest day is 40 days. (By the by, if your cycle is usually between 35 and 40 days, that's not really irregular because it's just a few days' difference overall. You just have a longer than average standard cycle. Regularity is about how consistent your own body's patterns are, not how similar your body is to all humans' average menstruation :) )

There's more information about testing, if you need it, in our piece Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

Thank you for the kind words and appreciation! You're very welcome :)
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
finnishglass
not a newbie

Thank you very much! I'll see what the instructions say and do it, can I write on this same thread if I have any other questions? It's very reassuring to know you guys are here! I also read 21 days after intercourse is a surefire way to get an accurate result, so maybe I can retest then?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

You're welcome!

21 days after the most recent risk should give an accurate result, yes, so that'd be a reasonable point to re-test if you felt that re-testing was necessary.

Yep, you can post again on this thread if you have any more questions - or a new thread for a new topic, if you prefer. Do be aware, though, that we have limits on answering any questions about pregnancy scares and fear: http://www.scarleteen.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3875 . We have lots of information on the main site about reproduction and about how to work your way through a pregnancy scare, all linked through from that post.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
finnishglass
not a newbie

Hey! I thought I'd check back in and take the occasion to ask a question. My period came around on day 52, so that was great! But at the same time I am wondering if this is normal or maybe I should visit a doctor! I was diagnosed with PCOS at 19 (I'm 21 now) when I got an ultrasound of my lower abdomen, could this be why my cycles are getting longer and longer? They used to last exactly 28 days until a year ago when they started to get gradually longer and longer. Should that be a reason for concern or is it normal?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi finnishglass,

PCOS can definitely be a cause of period irregularity. If you've been finding that the irregularity is increasing, it might be worth checking in with a healthcare provider to determine if PCOS or something else is causing that shift.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic