sex and periods

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Carmelina
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She

sex and periods

Unread post by Carmelina »

Im 19. Had protected sex with my bf on may6th and since then my periods come on time bt it stops on the second day for a complete 24 hrs and then resumes the next day. My pregnancy tests are negative and i dont have any symptoms of pregnancy either. This was my first time and his first time as well. Is first time sex causing irregularity of my periods? I was also sexually abused at the age of 5 so can this play any role now? Im worried as my period have been quite regular since it first started at the age of 11. If first time sex is the reason then can having sex once again help making it regular? Please answer me soon.
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: sex and periods

Unread post by Redskies »

Welcome to the boards!

Sex itself doesn't and can't change your menstrual cycle or your periods, no. Having sex or not having sex won't make any difference to your periods in the future, either. (Probably obviously, becoming pregnant as a result of sex would make periods stop, but you've ruled out pregnancy with those negative test results.)

What you're describing - your period starting, then stopping, then re-starting - is a common and normal way for periods to happen sometimes. For everyone who menstruates, periods will sometimes behave a little differently than usual. Too, it's very common to have a few overall changes during our lifetime: your periods didn't use to start-stop-start, but it's possible that they do now :) Sometimes bodies make these small changes. What you're describing is no cause for concern.

Too, I wouldn't call what you're experiencing "irregular": it's different than how it used to be for you, sure, but you're still seeing a clear pattern in how your periods happen. It's just a slightly different pattern than the pattern you were used to!

Abuse itself also doesn't and can't cause any changes to the menstrual cycle or to periods. If abuse caused physical injury or psychological trauma, the injury or trauma may cause some physical effects. What you've described so far, though, is simply a common and healthy variation in how periods happen, so there's no reason to think that past abuse has anything to do with your period now.

Is there anything you need or would like from us regarding the past abuse (for example, any kind of help or support or talking about it)? There doesn't have to be, of course; I just wanted to be sure I don't accidentally miss something.

Is there anything else you'd like to know?
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Carmelina
Pronouns: She

Unread post by Carmelina »

Thanks a lot...i was just concerned as these variations started soon after my first sex and they were regular till i had sex and i was also haunted by the abuse thing. And one more doubt i have is....we had sex on may6th and its 29th of auguts now....almost 4 mnths. So if i had to be pregnant there would be some obvious signs by now right?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

You're welcome.

Do you need any information or support about the abuse, or about any concerns or difficulties you have because of the abuse?

For the pregnancy-related part of your question:
We will not answer ANY questions about pregnancy fear or anxiety in our direct services from users who are not pregnant or who are not or have not otherwise been directly involved with an actual pregnancy.

Please do not post this kind of question. If you are seeing this text, and your thread is locked, it is because you have posted this kind of question.

We CAN and WILL talk about things like:
• choosing and using a method or methods of contraception for any future sexual activity
• creating your own sexual limits and boundaries based on your needs and/or presenting them to any partners
• making sexual choices that suit your own needs, abilities and limitations, including your own readiness for certain possible risks
• help locating or using emergency contraception if and when you have had a pregnancy risk
• discussing options with a real, existing pregnancy, and help finding and accessing those options, such as abortion services and pre-natal care, or discussing feelings or concerns about a past pregnancy
• help with anxiety like locating mental health services, sound self-help or asking for support from friends or family

For help dealing with a scare (including what poses a risk and your next steps based on your unique situation), you may use our tool on site built for this purpose: The Pregnancy Panic Companion.
For help with anxiety, click here.
For related help and information at Scarleteen, click here.
If you would like more information about this policy, click here.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic