Condom advice

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Andyp123456
not a newbie
Pronouns: He
Sexual identity: Straight

Condom advice

Unread post by Andyp123456 »

So I need to get some condoms for the first time and I went on a website that said I need some called mysize 47mm. I'm in U.K. and can't find this brand anywhere but really don't want to order online. Can I just buy the durex ones in the shops???
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Condom advice

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Andy,

Yep, the condoms you can find in the shops will work just fine. If you're concerned about them fitting correctly, you can try buying a few different sizes to give you some options. You may also find our map to the condom aisle helpful: Your Map to the Condom Aisle
Andyp123456
not a newbie

Ok thanks, the ones I've found are mainly 56mm so I'll try some of those ones.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome!
Andyp123456
not a newbie

Does anyone else have any thoughts?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

I would suggest the same thing as Sam did: to try a few different brands and sizes, to see what fits you and feels right on you. A condom should fit around the erect penis snugly and firmly, without feeling uncomfortable. (Extra room in the length is fine; width is what should be snug.) If it stays on well and feels alright, it's likely fine for you. If it's uncomfortable or it doesn't stay on properly, you'd be better off trying different brands and sizes until you find some that are right for you.

Usually, various different condoms will be absolutely fine for a person. There's definitely no need to try to find only one particular brand that a website told you was the right one for you: trying different brands and fits that are available in shops where you are is fine.

Is there something else that you're needing, when you ask for more thoughts?
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Andyp123456
not a newbie

I just thought the recommended ones are quite a bit smaller than the shop ones so I wanted to understand how much difference there is I guess.
Andyp123456
not a newbie

And I've heard it's all to do with how thick you are?
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

Yes, condom size is about how thick the penis is (when it's erect). Condoms have a ring around the open end, and the size difference is about how large or small that ring is.

There isn't a super-big difference between the different sizes of condom, and most people will find that an average size works fine for them. Some people, though, will find the average size is too large or too small: if the condom is uncomfortable or it doesn't stay on properly. The only way to know for sure is to actually try on a condom yourself - although, of course, estimates can be a helpful suggestion for which size to try first.

Smaller-sized condoms may sometimes be described as "snug" on the packaging, rather than being described as "small".

Did you know you can get condoms for free from lots of different places in the UK, rather than having to buy them? That might help you out, because then you could get a selection of different condoms, rather than buying a whole packet of the same and maybe being concerned that it'd be a waste if they're not right for you. Brook is a really great sexual health and information service for UK under-25s; this is their list for where you can get free condoms: https://www.brook.org.uk/your-life/condoms#how-to-get
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Andyp123456
not a newbie

I've measured and I'm 4.5 inches long and almost 4 inches around. Do you think the regular durex ones will be ok? Or should I try to find snug ones
Jacob
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi Andy!

I would recommend getting both and trying them.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Andyp123456
not a newbie

Thanks, it's just I'm trying to get a feel for how I compare to other guys coz I'm not really sure.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Andy,
If you're wondering how you compare size-wise to other people, this article can help you get a better sense of that: Shown Actual Size: A Penis Shape & Size Lowdown
Andyp123456
not a newbie

I know it sounds weird but I'd really appreciate more opinions rather than links to masses of info that's hard to get my head round!
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

No worries! From the size you've given us, you right around the average length and size, which means you've got the same penis size as lots and lots of other guys (which means the standard condom size will likely fit fine, but as Jacob mentioned there's no harm in buying two sizes and seeing which fits better).
Andyp123456
not a newbie

Brilliant thanks, the shops near me don't really sell snug ones so it's good to know the regular ones will be good. Thanks!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic