Mental health and safe sex

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Jellyfish777
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm creative!!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight and cis

Mental health and safe sex

Unread post by Jellyfish777 »

so I'm very new to scarleteen but I was recommended to come here to hash out some stuff. I'm in a very happy long-term relationship with my boyfriend and A few weeks ago, we decided to have sex for the first time together. I've been taking tri-lo Marzia for about five weeks and got my period last week after having sex twice, so I'm not really worried about pregnancy resulting from either of those times. I don't know if this would play a role in reducing pill effectivity but my periods tended to leave me immobilized due to pain on somedays (I have both PCOS and endometriosis) We have had sex once this past week after my period and probably will before I (hopefully!!) get my period again. We use condoms every time and have had no slipping, holes, tears, unprotected genital contact, etc. I am very diligent when it comes to taking my pill. I take it within a one to two hour time frame every day and I do not miss pills. I already take a cocktail of pills for other health reasons so they are very much so part of my morning routine. I've checked on multiple sources and none of the supplements or medications I take along with the pill would have any negative impact on the pill's effectivity. To add to this, he's never ejaculated inside of me. Despite all of this, I can't help but wonder if I will end up being the literal one in a million with teen pregnancy. Ive been very hard on myself since I was a little girl and have had a very... interesting.. experience when it comes to mental and physical health in life to say the least! I don't think I'm pregnant and I am tryig to keep myself from focusing on the astronomically low chance that I am pregnant, yet I still find myself worrying about "what if?"
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Mental health and safe sex

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Jellyfish,

If you're finding yourself getting stuck on those "what ifs" when all the information you have says the "what ifs" are not realistic, that means there is something deeper going on. This article is a really good place to start, and you can take a look at it and see if any of the reasons given feel like they apply to you: You're Not Pregnant. Why Do You think You Are?

You mention you've had some interesting experiences with mental health. Are you currently seeing a counselor?
Jellyfish777
not a newbie

Currently, I am not. I had an unpleasant experience with a rude counselor, plus my parents avoid conversation about mental health. I do have an adult and a few friends that I can talk to when I need to though.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.

Unread post by Karyn »

Is counselling something you'd be willing to look into again? (I understand that it can be extra tough if you've had a bad experience.)
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Jellyfish777
not a newbie

yes it is because I'm hitting a point where I'm not really sure how to cope with stress and worry like this. I'm not too sure how to go about that though. Thank you for your help!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english

Unread post by Sam W »

This article has a ton of advice on both finding a counselor and working with a counselor once you've found one: Process This: Getting the Most Out of Therapy
Do you feel comfortable finding one without the assistance of your parents, or would you like some advice on how to approach the topic with them?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic