What is the best age to start masturbating?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
siberianunic0rn
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

What is the best age to start masturbating?

Unread post by siberianunic0rn »

Hello! I'm 13 and I want to masturbate, but I don't know when is the right time to start and how to do it without feeling grossed out. I want to do it, but I'm afraid. I tried ''sort of'' doing it in the shower while washing myself, but I didn't really feel anything. I don't really wanna do it normally (I mean without water), because at this age my mom doesn't let me shave my private parts, so there is hair on my vulva (or vagina).
I read a lot of stuff on this website, but I still haven't found my answer... Maybe it's too early for me to start doing this, so I shouldn't think about it? And if yes, how can I get condoms if I want to use a D.I.Y. sex toy?

Thank you in advance!
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: What is the best age to start masturbating?

Unread post by Mo »

Hi siberianunic0rn, and welcome to Scarleteen.

There's no universal best age or time to start masturbating; it really comes down to when you feel like it's something you want to do. It's not too early to do it, if it's something you're interested in. You mention feeling a little grossed out and afraid of masturbating; can you elaborate on where those feelings are coming from?

There's no age limit on when people can buy condoms; if you can get to a drugstore, you should be able to buy some. I realize that it might be tough to get to a drugstore on your own or have privacy there if a family member drives you, but that's one place you should be able to get condoms if you have a chance. Some doctor's offices or medical clinics will have condoms available for free, so it might be something to ask about at your next checkup as well.
siberianunic0rn
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Unread post by siberianunic0rn »

Hey! I'm a bit late to reply to this, but I was a bit imbarassed to do it at first. I don't really feel grossed out anymore when i try doing it in the shower, but I don't know how to do it like, in bed, because people say it's better there and you can try out more angles. I don't know, but it kind of feels gross to do it without washing your hands (when in the shower you can kinda "wash" them while you're in the bath tub). I feel more confident about masturbating now (took me about a year haha), but not at the same time I don't.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

There's not a universally best place to masturbate; some people may prefer doing it in bed, but that doesn't mean it's best for everyone! If you do want to try it in bed, you can wash your hands right before you start masturbating and that will be fine as far as cleanliness goes. If cleanup afterwards feels like more of an issue, especially if you don't have access to a private, un-shared bathroom, you could get some baby wipes or flushable cleaning cloths to have on hand in your room for initial cleanup afterwards.
If you just don't want to masturbate in bed, or anywhere besides the shower, for now, that's ok too.:P)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic