Condom leakage?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
wildprincess
not a newbie

Condom leakage?

Unread post by wildprincess »

Hello! Yesterday my boyfriend and I had sex for the first time. It was the first time for the both of us so we aren't exactly experts/really sure of what is normal or abnormal. I am aware that to put on a condom we're supposed to pinch the tip and roll down the condom. As he is uncircumcised and fairly large it was quite hard to roll down the condom. Do you have any advice as to how to make this easier?

When he came and pulled out, I noticed that though majority of the cum was at the tip, there were some along the shaft though none was at the base nor was there any on the outside of the condom. I was wondering if this is normal? I am fairly certain condom did not break and did not have any leaks. He filled the condom with water after and there were no leaks at all so I guess it's safe to say there aren't any leaks. I am just am a little curious/anxious to know if the semen on the shaft is normal? We were in missionary position if that makes a difference?

Thanks in advance!
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Condom leakage?

Unread post by Karyn »

For people with uncircumcised penises, putting a condom on is slightly different than it is for circumcised folks. What you want to do is pull the foreskin down gently as you roll the condom on (only to the point where it's comfortable, it shouldn't hurt), then when the condom is unrolled about a third of the way, pull the foreskin back up with the condom as you keep unrolling the condom with the other hand. Basically what you're trying to do is leave some slack in the condom so that it can move back and forth with the foreskin. A drop of lube in the tip of the condom before you unroll it can help too, as well as making things more comfortable for the condom wearer. If you're finding that even then it's still difficult, you may want to look into larger condoms; I don't know what's available to you locally, but this piece has some suggestions for brands that make larger condoms:Your Map to the Condom Aisle

To answer your second question, as long as the condom didn't break or slip off, then it did its job. It's normal for a bit of ejaculate to move down the shaft of the penis inside the condom; that doesn't mean the condom has failed or that any has leaked out. For the record, it's not necessary to fill condoms with water after you use them: when condoms break it's obvious, and filling them with water afterwards can actually create holes that weren't there before and cause unnecessary worry.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
wildprincess
not a newbie

Thank you for your prompt reply! Is it safe to say that I shouldn't be worrying about this as the risk of pregnancy is fairly minimal? I'm just a little anxious as it might have been during my ovulating phase. My cervix felt fairly soft yesterday but was quite dry and the cercixal mucus was tacky and lotiony. Thank you!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi wildprincess,

You can read about when ovulation is (and is not) cause for concern here: Let's Dial Down Some (Maybe) Ovulation Freakouts
wildprincess
not a newbie

I have read the article and would like to thank you as it really did help me calm down. However I am still a little confused. Does this mean that, even though I could have been ovulating, the risk of pregnancy is low as he was wearing a condom? Is that what the article was getting at? Thank you!
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English

Unread post by Karyn »

We will not answer ANY questions about pregnancy fear or anxiety in our direct services from users who are not pregnant or who are not or have not otherwise been directly involved with an actual pregnancy.

Please do not post this kind of question. If you are seeing this text, and your thread is locked, it is because you have posted this kind of question.

We CAN and WILL talk about things like:
• choosing and using a method or methods of contraception for any future sexual activity
• creating your own sexual limits and boundaries based on your needs and/or presenting them to any partners
• making sexual choices that suit your own needs, abilities and limitations, including your own readiness for certain possible risks
• help locating or using emergency contraception if and when you have had a pregnancy risk
• discussing options with a real, existing pregnancy, and help finding and accessing those options, such as abortion services and pre-natal care, or discussing feelings or concerns about a past pregnancy
• help with anxiety like locating mental health services, sound self-help or asking for support from friends or family

For help dealing with a scare (including what poses a risk and your next steps based on your unique situation), you may use our tool on site built for this purpose: The Pregnancy Panic Companion.
For help with anxiety, click here.
For related help and information at Scarleteen, click here.
If you would like more information about this policy, click here.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Locked Previous topicNext topic