pondering question

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
iTrademark
not a newbie
Pronouns: he
Sexual identity: straight

pondering question

Unread post by iTrademark »

okay so last month i wrote a post about a scare but now i am here with more a question concerning percents. So through my scare and constant research of "anal" sex I became quite aware of the small amount of information on it as a birth control method. Looking at anal as purely a birth control method what are the percentages of getting pregnant? every other source of birth control has a percentage of failure rate but not for anal and I was wondering why? or if there is where can i find it.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: pondering question

Unread post by Karyn »

I'm not aware of any data on that, and I suspect it's because anal sex isn't generally defined as a method of birth control, but as a particular sexual activity. Does that help answer your question?
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: pondering question

Unread post by Heather »

To just back up or clrify what Karyn said, we do not have effectiveness rates -- no one does -- for methods of contraception that are not methods of contraception, be that anal sex, kissing, or watching television. Just like say, we do not have data about what causes car accidents for things that do not, in fact, cause car accidents.

We have effectiveness rates for methods of contraception that ARE methods of contraceptions: devices, medications or behaviors that do, in fact, reduce the risk of pregnancy. Anal sex is not one of those things.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic