Antibiotic + BCP Switch + EC

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
not a newbie

Antibiotic + BCP Switch + EC

Unread post by 183791 »

Hey, guys!
I'm an old user but i don't remember my old nickname.

I got a question, cause... This last month and a half some things had happened.
For starters: I had an UTI and had to take antibiotics for 3 days, two times per day. Ok. I took "ciprofar". My doc said it wouldn't interfere in my BCP.
But she told me to change my pill brand to one that have a lower dose.
That visit was on july 9th. And i started the the antibiotic the same day. Ok. I had my withdrawal bleed as expected, but it lasted a little longer.
On july 21, i started my new pack of the other bcp.
I knew and my doc told me that i was supposed to use a backup method with my boyfriend, during that cycle. And i did that.
On august 13, my first pack of the new bcp ended and i was expecting my bleed three days after, as it would be with my old bcp.
On august 15, we had an intercourse that ended with a broken condom, we didn't see it, so he ejaculated while inside me.
I freaked out and we bought a Plan B.
And my withdrawal bleed never showed up. It's been a week since i was supposed to have my bleed and took the EC.
I sended an email to my doc asking what i was supposed to do, and she oriented me to took the EC, and keeps with the BCP, as i would normally. I wanna know if this is a correct advise? And cause i started my second pack of the new BCP, when am i supposed to have my withdrawal bleed? I know you guys can't answer for sure, but, given the facts.... which are the possibilities of what can happen?
I'm not really worried about a pregnancy in this case cause, even switching my bcp, i took it correctly everyday at the same hour, with max of 1h late. And in the sheet of medication, says it is safe if taken correctly. I took the "EC" cause i really dont want a kid and we cant have an abortion here where i live. Annnd i took a hpt, that came negative.
But i wanna know a little more about my situation.
i'm sorry about the loooong topic, but i wanted to explain it right so i don't have to came back with new questions.
Thank you so much for your attention!
;*
Onionpie
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Absolutely Everything
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: fluid

Re: Antibiotic + BCP Switch + EC

Unread post by Onionpie »

Hi 183791, welcome back to Scarleteen! Really, your doctor is going to be able to give you the most accurate information around this -- even more accurate than us, because they will know your particular brand of pills, etc! So you really can rely on what your doctor's telling you here :)

The emergency contraceptive pill very frequently throws off the withdrawal bleed cycle, so it is not surprising at all that your withdrawal bleed has not shown up. Also, when switching off the pill to another contraception method (including a different dosage of pill), this can also sometimes throw off when you can expect the withdrawal bleed. So this is totally normal and pretty expected considering your circumstances. We have absolutely no way of knowing when you can expect your withdrawal bleed, although it will likely be back on track by the end of the next cycle. You can of course talk about all of this with your doctor as well!

Hope that helps :)
not a newbie

Unread post by 183791 »

Thank you for your answer Onionpie!
That helps a lot!

Thank you very much!
not a newbie

Unread post by 183791 »

Oh, so i want ask another question about the same subject.

If my withdrawal bleed shows up, like... tomorrow. Am i still protected by my birth control pill?
Or if any kind of bleed happens?
Is it "normal"? And will i be still protected?

Thank you!
Onionpie
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Absolutely Everything
Sexual identity: fluid

Unread post by Onionpie »

Yep, as long as you keep taking the pill on time, no matter when bleeding happens you will still be protected. If you do get bleeding at an unexpected time, it will likely have been caused by the EC, but you can always check in with your doctor about it too, just to make sure, if you want.
not a newbie

Unread post by 183791 »

Hey, guys. So my cycle ended. I took my last pill on Wednesday.
On Wednesday afternoon I had a brown spotting, noticeable on my panties. It was just on the afternoon, I pee and I saw my panties with a brown line that I k ow its old blood, and with my pee some of the old blood went down. To me it was normal, cause every time before I get my withdrawal bleed I got this "notifications" from my body.
So I had this spotting on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Just a liiiiittle brown spotting. Yesterday nothing showed up, and today when I woke up and went to pee, I had a little normal blood "point" and a brown one when I wiped.
The thing is that I didn't really got a "withdrawal bleed". Or did I?
Now I'm starting to get scared that I might be preg.
Or is this the most light period of all, because I took my pill correctly?
Is this possible that is a side effect od the ec?
I took 2 hpt that came back negative. The last one was one week and a half ago. And I took my bcp at time eveeeery day. Never missed one, or the right time to take it.
What Could be happening? I dont want to be pregnant :(
Is it possible that even with taking the pill correctly and taking the ec when I had the incident, they failed? Please, help.
I hoping that today my bleed could still show up.
Ruth
not a newbie
Sexual identity: Queer/lesbian

Unread post by Ruth »

If you've taken your pill correctly, taken the EC and had two negative pregnancy tests, you can be comfortably sure that you aren't pregnant. The spotty bleed this month may well be just down to the differences in your birth control recently.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic