Light Period + Swimming?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Olivia15
not a newbie
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Light Period + Swimming?

Unread post by Olivia15 »

So i've never been much of a swimmer, but i got invited to a party recently a bought a new bikini and stuff to wear while i go swimming this weekend. Unfortunately, if my period comes on time, it's gonna be during when i'm going to be swimming. Now, I've never used tampons before, and im a bit scared of them because of TSS warnings and all that. I know you shouldn't use an absorbency higher than what you need. What do you do then, about days where you're too light to use a tampon, but you are going to be swimming? Im really worried if i don't wear a tampon I'll bleed through my brand new, light colored suit for everyone to see. However, im also worried if I wear a tampon when my flow is too light for one, i'm putting myself in danger for TSS. What should I do?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: Light Period + Swimming?

Unread post by Eddie C »

As someone who has been using tampons since I was 12 years old, I can tell you that if you just change them often you have nothing to worry about. What you want to avoid is to keep the same tampon for a long time. I personally like to change every 3 or 4 hours, but that's me, or course. Also, there are different types of tampons, "lites" is just one of them. Those are exactly for when you do not have a heavy flow but still want to wear a tampon. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic