Cramping when starting Birth Control

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
kristen22
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her

Cramping when starting Birth Control

Unread post by kristen22 »

Hi, guys!
I just started hormonal birth control for the first time almost 2 weeks ago, after an unsuccessful try with a copper IUD that ended up slipping and had to be taken out. I started Lo Loestrin Fe when I was not on my period and started having mild cramps and breast tenderness along with some bloating. I have been really consistent with taking it the same time every night (or at least always within 2-3 minutes) and I waited until after I took my eighth pill to have sex (I was a virgin). My partner used condoms and there were no major problems at all, just a little bit of slippage which was resolved very quickly. It didn't even slip an inch down, and it was not while he was inside of me and he had not ejaculated yet, so he replaced the condom. We also had sex the night after, but not any other time since.
I know that my chances of pregnancy are very, very low due to us using two forms of contraception, and I have a feeling that since I had the cramping before I even had sex that it's most likely just my body adjusting to the hormones, but I wanted to check and see if this was a common symptom of starting birth control for the first time or if it's something to worry about. However, the longer I have been taking the pill, my cramps have seemed to get a little more intense but also less frequent and my breasts are hardly tender anymore if at all. Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Cramping when starting Birth Control

Unread post by Heather »

Welcome to the boards! :D

Given you're so new to the pill and this business with the IUD sounds pretty recent, I'd expect your body to be doing a bit of a big WTF-person-who-inhabits-me?!?! for a while. :)

It's common for the first few cycles of the pill to be a bit of a whammy for a body, and all the more so when it's started mid-cycle. So, things like some uterine cramping, breast tenderness and bloating are mighty common. If any of these keeps up or becomes unmanageable for you, you just want to check in with your prescribing physician.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
kristen22
not a newbie

Haha that makes sense! I had a feeling that the IUD might've been a part of it too. Thanks for the advice and the welcome, Heather! :)
kristen22
not a newbie

I have another question regarding the pill and thought I'd just tack it on here instead of making a new topic!

I'm now on my last week of pills, but in the past two days I have had dark brown discharge as if I were starting my period, and today I started having what I assume is my period. I am still on the active pills and won't start the placebos until Monday. Is this just breakthrough bleeding, or is it normal to start your period early when you're new to BC?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

We can't know for sure whether this is breakthrough bleeding or not, but a little cycle wonkiness doesn't sound too surprising right now, for the same reasons Heather mentioned above. It's entirely possible you're starting your withdrawal bleed (what you get on hormonal birth control instead of a period) a little early.
kristen22
not a newbie

Okay, thanks Mo! :)
jasy1324
Awesomeness Quotient: I sing and dance
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Female straight (heterosexual)

Unread post by jasy1324 »

hi both, i have basically (except for copper IUD part) had the exact same experience, after about 3 weeks on the pill i started to experience breast tenderness less but more bloating, major cramps at night, and brown discharge that only today (5weeks on the pill) has turned to actual blood. I'm very confused i think it could just be my body adjusting but i've not read anything with someone having the same experience as me yet, so i just wanted to say hanky for answering and asking this as i was quite concerned about what was happening to me and don't feel very comfortable talking to anyone but my boyfriend about it who obviously has no clue how to help. if there's anything more you could add or tell me it would be very appreciated. thank you! :)
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

I'm glad this thread helped you jasy! If you have any questions of your own feel free to start your own thread!
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic