Here to test new boards?

Board FAQs, help and general announcements about the boards for users.
Casey
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I make pretty websites and apps
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Here to test new boards?

Unread post by Casey »

Here's some ideas for scenarios you can test to make sure the boards are working properly.

Posting images
No one should be able to do this anywhere. If you can post an image, please post the link to the post - do not delete the post.

Instant messaging
Admin, Staff, Volunteers, and Peer Moderators now have the ability to PM amongst each other. No one else should be able to. If you are a Volunteer or Peer Moderator and you can't use it, or if you are a normal user who can, please leave your username and the username of who you PMed.

Email
Admin, Staff and Volunteers should be the only ones who can see users email address. Please leave your username if you are able to see any email addresses.

COPPA
Users under 13 should not be allowed to have an active account without permission.

Mobile
There is now a mobile theme for the boards! It has limited features, but I want to make sure it is usable and has the essential features necessary to use on the phone. Please try it out and leave any suggestions.

Accessibility
The board should now be more usable for screen readers and people with vision impairment. Please leave any suggestions for improvement.

Links
All links should work and make sense, no links should go to blank pages or pages that look incomplete.

Newbies
Users should get permissions in the non-newbie sections after 5 posts. They should be allowed to post anywhere except newbieville until then.

Thanks everyone!
Last edited by Casey on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added Newbies scenario
Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper
Keda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always nice, I just sometimes hide it well
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: Wibbly wobbly sexy wexy

Re: Here to test new boards?

Unread post by Keda »

I noticed the font size button (yay accessibility! And also yay me not getting a headache!) and was going to comment on it - it's in my little wordpad doc of notes...

It's also good to hear that email is generally disabled, because the "Allow other users to email me" setting is set to Yes by default, and that should really have been No by default if the setting actually worked.

I do wonder if it would be possible to remove some of the disabled stuff, like email and PM settings, from the user control panel, just to make things tidier?

It would be nice to have some breadcrumbs on the mobile version so I don't accidentally post in Ask Us. :P Although I guess maybe most users who post in there when they shouldn't possibly aren't so attentive to the board structure, so maybe a small warning along the lines of "Please only post in this thread if you started it. If you have similar question, please make your own thread. Thanks!" or something.
Casey
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I make pretty websites and apps
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Re: Here to test new boards?

Unread post by Casey »

Those are great ideas! Thanks, Keda!
Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic